How do you bleed convertible top lines?

• Sponsors (?)

Take out the pins from the cylinders to the top.Using the switch lower both cylinders all the way.Pull out the rubber grommet on the fluid housing(pump)fill with tranny fluid.with the switch raise the pistons(alot of fluid will leave the resevior and enter the pistons) fill again till it's just about pouring out.Put the grommet back in and raise the cylinders up and down a few times. Oh and anyone with a convertible like myself should have this in their favs, all the info you'll ever need.http://www.fordsunlimited.com/tech/Convertible.htm Good luck

S-Car-Go said:
I swapped out one of the hydraulic cylinders and got air in the line. The air is not working it's way down to the pump. Any good tricks to fix this?

Good question. I have a related question. My vert top seems to be a touch low on fluid. The pump runs for a second then the top moves. How can I check/fill the fluid and is the pump mechanism behind the rear seat like I think it is?

Yep behind the back seat. When you in the car there is a rubber grommet on your left. As with the bleeding, raise the pistons all the way up so that the piston is full and proceed to fill up the resevoir with tranny fluid till it starts to pour out. I found that I couldn't find a funnel small enough so I used a turkey baster....whatever works.