How do you fix the most tedious things? Look inside and see if U can help!

Highbredcloud

Mar 4, 2003
Palos Hills, IL
Guys...as some of you might be aware of, I purchased a 91 LX 5.0 as my daily driver. Like most Mustangs things break or just need to be replaced. Below is a list of things that don't work on my car. See if you can help.

1. Hatch rattles- Do I need a whole new hatch or just the lock?
2. My defrost doesn't work- Is there a fuse I need to check? or do I have to replace the wires on the glass?
3. Power locks are making weird noises (not like they should, still work though)...New motor?
4. Power mirrors are not working...Is the switch bad? or a fuse?
5. Barely any heat in the car- I think it's the heater core
6. When my parking break is on the light doesn't light up on the cluster...Don't know if any of the other ligths such as "check engeine" etc...work. Any advice?
7. Driving lighs flicker on and off sometimes when I dirve at night...really annoying...is a fuse or the switch.

These are porbably the most common things that go bad in a Mustang and for those of you that fixed any of the following please share. Indicate the number in your answer so I know which you are talking about.

thanks,

-Greg :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Highbredcloud said:
1. Hatch rattles- Do I need a whole new hatch or just the lock?
2. My defrost doesn't work- Is there a fuse I need to check? or do I have to replace the wires on the glass?
3. Power locks are making weird noises (not like they should, still work though)...New motor?
4. Power mirrors are not working...Is the switch bad? or a fuse?
5. Barely any heat in the car- I think it's the heater core
6. When my parking break is on the light doesn't light up on the cluster...Don't know if any of the other ligths such as "check engeine" etc...work. Any advice?
7. Driving lighs flicker on and off sometimes when I dirve at night...really annoying...is a fuse or the switch.

#1. You can just replace the latch striker and go from there. Also, check to see if the rubber bumps on the outer edges are missin or worn. Replace if necessary

#2, check fuse first, then check for physical breaks in the lines. If you have a good digital tester, test for continuity across the grid. Does the little yellow light come on when you hit the defroster button?

#3 new lock actuators...common prob when they are about to croak

#4 check fuse first, then possible switch. Good tester would come in handy here

#5 does the heater blend door move?

#6 probably a burned out bulb. When you turn the car from off to ON, ALL the lights in the cluster should come on except the BRAKE light. that you test by pulling up on the brake. Also, it could be a bad switch at the bottom of the e0brake, but bulb would make more sense

#7, common prob, usually because of the switch

I had a dim headlight that was causing this... since replacing it has never done it again. (about 4 years now)

It sucked too because people would get really annoyed with me or pull over thinking I was telling them they have a problem with their car.

My technical mastery on the fox body mustangs has led me to a remedy for your first problem....

That happened to me so I shoved a few shop rags under the hatch.

Most of these solutions are right on for these problems. The heat and defrost problem could be vacuum related. The doors that direct the air one way or the other are moved by vacuum. The solution for the hatch is new rubber gasket, new rubber bumbers and adjust after you replace them. Mike

i offered you a temporary fix for the problem. i know rattling hatch drives people insane. do it until you get the parts that you need. thats all that i meant by the tape, it acts as a cusion for the latch. :D and for you power mirrors problem, my switch was fried, try taking it out and taking it somewhere to get it tested. These switches are kindof expensive though :( good luck :nice: