How do you flush power steering fluid? Changing rack...any tips???

• Sponsors (?)

I respectfully disagree a bit. The debris (like metal shavings) is suspended throughout the fluid in the system.

With a rack installed, I disconnect the return line at the PS cooler (it goes from the cooler to the pump) and put it in a bucket. I start the car and add fluid into the reservoir (as old fluid is spit out the return line and into the bucket). Once the fluid coming out is clear, I reconnect the line and fill the system. Then purge the air and top it off.

Just how I see and do it.

Good luck.

I threaded a bolt into the pump shaft (matched it up from the pullie removal/install tool) and with the serp. belt off I put a socket on the bolt and turned the pump. I used my snap-on 18v cordless impact but an air rachet or so would work as well to run the pump.

I did this with alot of the front stuff off so you may have to do it by hand or like I posted above an air rachet.

Its alot safer, cooler, and controled than with the thing running.

as far as air bleeding...I just cycled it for a good bit but since I had more controle I never let the pump run empty.

juiced_94gt said:
how do you purge the air from the system??? I have only bled brakes before.

Fill up the pump,raise the front wheels off the ground,start the engine and take a look at the level,make sure it`s up and start moving the steering wheel back and forth to the end until bubbles disappear to bleed air out of the system.

Add fluid as required.

(Btw,when flushing the system out,have the front wheels off the ground and another person inside the car turning the wheel back and forth while running some new fluid through the system with the engine running.
This removes more of the old fluid.)