How do you guys usually launch at the track?

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
I haven't been to the track yet but I was just wondering how you guys launch your car. I'm not really concerned with what RPM but if you footbrake with your heel. On the street my car usually doesn't roll and I don't even have to brake at all. But I know some people that say they use that method at the track. What are your experiences? I'm not really comfortable yet with the footbrake method.

• Sponsors (?)

I use the clutch to hold my car in place. It takes some practice to hold it still but it is more effective for me in launching. Then once the lights start to come down it's 5500rpm and off the clutch I come.

after I do my burn out I get up and stage both lights and bring the RPM's up to 3,500 to 4,000 and slightly slip the cluch off the line until I can feel that it is going to grab well and then its all WOT from there on out.

I think I've put my 3 year old centerforce on it's last leg doing this:
1). Burnout by popping the clutch and standing on the brakes. good 7 - 10 seconds on nittos, or until you start seeing smoke. (have to be careful, if the tires grab I've found sometimes you can't stop the car from rolling once it's starts...)
2). Stage, I bring my rpms to approx. 3000, any more and it spins, any less and it bogs.
3). I don't exactly sidestep the clutch, but I get on it immediately while quickly letting out the clutch to the point that I feel it grab about 80% of it's capacity.
4). floor the accelerator and get off the clutch, quick power shift into second (used to bark em pretty good, now it doesn't, hence my last legged clutch)
5). Shift 3rd as quick as I can...
6). Hope to see 8.xx flash..

its not worth to powershift just to earn an extra tenth of a second in the quarter. If you have a built tranny on a car that rips in the quarter then yes its ok to an extent, but if you're basically stock you should really use your synchros or you're going to find yourself looking for a new tranny sooner than you think.

back with my stock longblock and street tires I did this, tires at 23-25psi.

1. spin the tires out of the water box to clean them.
2. stage, and hold the rpm's to 2,000-2,500 depending on track cond. and weather.
3. floor the gas let off the clutch at the same time.
4. 5,000 rpms push in the clutch and shift into 2nd as fast as can be without liftn' the gas.
5. 5,000 rpms let off the gas alittle while shifting into 3rd as fast as can be.
6. 5,000 rpms push in the clutch and shift into 4th as fast as can be without liftn' the gas
7. go get time slip.