How do you identify Ford ECu computers? What are the desireable ones?

I have a salvage yard close that has plenty of mustangs, turbo coupes, merkurs, etc. Here is my question?

I know that certain ECUs are worth more, depending on what they are. I keep hearing these referred to as A9E, L3, A3, etc. How do I identify these? Are there a code on on the ECU that id's these? Will someone give me a list of valuable ECUs and their code? I will pull all I can find.

• Sponsors (?)

Copied from Steve89GT...

There are a few different varieties of computers... just a few different calibrations.. Here's the #'s of most of the maf
computers that are around. A9L and A9P are the most common.

1988 MANUAL 8LD
1988 AUTO 8LF
1989 MANUAL A9L, A9S
1989 AUTO A9P, A9T
1990-92 MANUAL A9L
1990-92 AUTO A9P
1993 MANUAL A3M
1993 AUTO C3W
1993 COBRA X3Z

The harness itself is what is different.. Most of the computers are interchangeable, although I have never done it.
You can also use an auto computer in a manual... but not a manual comp in an auto..

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know about the ECUs from turbo 2.3L motors?

Turbo coupes and Merkurs

jrichker said:
Copied from Steve89GT...

There are a few different varieties of computers... just a few different calibrations.. Here's the #'s of most of the maf
computers that are around. A9L and A9P are the most common.

1988 MANUAL 8LD
1988 AUTO 8LF
1989 MANUAL A9L, A9S
1989 AUTO A9P, A9T
1990-92 MANUAL A9L
1990-92 AUTO A9P
1993 MANUAL A3M
1993 AUTO C3W
1993 COBRA X3Z

The harness itself is what is different.. Most of the computers are interchangeable, although I have never done it.
You can also use an auto computer in a manual... but not a manual comp in an auto..

natejones75 said:
Is the computer in a 88-93 Mark VII worht anything?

I am looking for desireable ECU's to pull , and resale

Nope. It's Speed Density anyway.

Desirable ECU's are any Mustang ECU that was for a Mass Air Car. No need to get picky with Codes on them, there is not that much a of a difference between any of them. The A9L is just the most common but the A9P is exactly the same except it's an AOD computer so it won't pull timing between shifts.

There should be a barcode sticker located on the gray plastic where the harness plugs in. The numbers should be on the sticker.

large_2848_img9721eo9.jpg

I run a A3M in mine but I have a 93 wiring harness and engine.

I have heard of people having problems trying to use that ecu in a pre-93 harness. My understanding is the pinouts on the ecus are all the same for the mass air computers. The difference is how the cars a wired once they get out of the ecu.

I'm copying this from another forum.

87,88 & 89 - plug and play.
1990 is unique to itself.
1991 - mid 1992 - plug and play.
mid 92 - 93 plug and play.

Have a 90 notch that was converted from manual to Aod,sometimes it wont shift into overdrive.Could it be the computer,dont know if it was swapped.

AOD transmissions are not computer controlled. Not shifting into OD would be an issue with the transmission itself.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with mustang 5L5. Aod's have zero communication with the ECU. From what I've read on the forums over the years, the A9P's don't have rev limiters and they have a more aggressive timing/fuel curve compared to the A9L to give the auto vehicles a bit more oomph on take-off.