how do you justify buying a NEW car?

66Satellite

Banned
Feb 6, 2003
Especially new American cars, which depreciate very rapidly. Right now 99 GTs can be had for less than $10k. And for the price of an 05 GT you could get a well maintained late model Boxster, XK8, Vette, 540i, etc. Is it the ease of financing a new car, the lure or that "new car smell" or having the "latest and greatest" or the warranty or picking your exact color or what? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing what comes out each year, and I'm glad people buy new cars, but I don't really get it.

• Sponsors (?)

The main advantage to buying a new car is that you know your not getting a car that has had a lifetime of abuse. Used cars are generally a coin toss at best in terms of reliabiliy. You can mitigate this to a point through inspection, consulting a mechanic, etc, but when it comes down to it, there is still some risk. IMO, if you buy a used sports car, you should budget at least $500 to $1000 for stuff that might need service in the first year, above and beyond just replacing oil and brake pads.

Ultimately, it's usless to rationalize the purchase of a new sports car based on finances. Finacially, the best thing would be to buy a toyota corrola and spend the next 20 years driving it into the ground.

shatner saves said:
The main advantage to buying a new car is that you know your not getting a car that has had a lifetime of abuse. Used cars are generally a coin toss at best in terms of reliabiliy. You can mitigate this to a point through inspection, consulting a mechanic, etc, but when it comes down to it, there is still some risk. IMO, if you buy a used sports car, you should budget at least $500 to $1000 for stuff that might need service in the first year, above and beyond just replacing oil and brake pads.
QUOTE]

Exactly. Because every dealer I've gone to. When looking at a used mustang will tell you. "It was owned by a 50 year old woman who babied it." And we all know how many of those cars are out there.

I buy cars and keep them forever. I'm 31 and I have only owned two cars. My first was a 66 Mustang that my dad bought new and the second is my 1996 GT. I still own them both. I would like a 2006 but my guess is that I'll hold out until 2007-8. The longer you keep your cars, the better car you can afford.

Rod

SVTdriver said:
Exactly. Because every dealer I've gone to. When looking at a used mustang will tell you. "It was owned by a 50 year old woman who babied it." And we all know how many of those cars are out there.

The last place you should get a used car is from a dealer. I've never had one problem with buying used cars--and these are cars between 15 and 40 years old. I'm just patient and wait for the right car to come along. Yeah, most Mustangs probably get abused. But they made TONS of them--it really can't be too hard to find a decent one owner well-maintained car if you're patient.

shatner saves said:
Ultimately, it's usless to rationalize the purchase of a new sports car based on finances. Finacially, the best thing would be to buy a toyota corrola and spend the next 20 years driving it into the ground.

I'm not really talking about rationalizing buying a sports car. I'm talking about buying a new sports car vs. spending the same money to buy a much higher end car used, or spending roughly half the money to buy a clean example of the same car with 40 or 50K miles on it.

Well first there aren't going to be very many used 05's this year. So trying to find one is pretty much out of the question. And if you want a mustang. Why bother buying a used high end car? It doesn't make sense to buy a BMW if you want a mustang.

It still comes down to cost. A lot of those high end used sports cars you mentioned (porsche and BMW expecially) are reputed to have some of the highest repair and service costs in the industry. And, in the end, it's a used car. How was it driven? Did the owner prep the car properly if it was going to be sitting for more than a month? Did he let the temperature come up before he really started revving the engine? Is there any suspension or driveline wear and tear that will contribute to the vacuum in my bank account inside of 6 months?

I Don't know how insurance costs for those vehicles compared to a mustang, but I can't see them being much less. You also have the pleasure of paying a $0.20/gallon premium when you visit the gas pump with those cars.

Not that I have anything against used cars. Every single car Iv'e owned was used. I'm just saying there are pitfalls, especially when that used car has a "sporting" nature.

I can also justify it as. I am just plain picky about my car. I have had used cars. And generally speaking you have some compromises to makewhen buying a used car. You may not get every option you want. Or maybe it's your second choice for color. I no longer want to compromise on what I want in my car. I want to pick all the options I see fit. Not worry about someone else's choice.

I justify it two ways: I want it. I can afford it.

As far as the other cars you mentioned, I wouldn't own any one of them on a bet. The foreign cars you mentioned are all over-priced phallic replacements that cost a small fortune to repair after the warranty runs out and the 'Vette is, well, a 'Vette. If you drive a Mustang, you generally don't care for 'Vettes.

66Satellite said:
The last place you should get a used car is from a dealer. I've never had one problem with buying used cars--and these are cars between 15 and 40 years old.

I agree. Never buy a 15-40 year old car from a dealer. But don't privately buy a recent model year used car from anyone BUT a dealer. They can offer FACTORY extended warrantee, and help you protect your investment. Also, you will get a cut on finance charges, unless you are the 1% that has a sock under your matress with $16,000.00 stashed in it.

I put myself in the poor house because of new vehicles. My first one was a Ford Ranger when I was 18, then a 5-speed ZX2 only 8 months later, Ford 150XLT 4x4 after that...

The excuses I had at the time were: payments would be lower than repairs on an older car, more reliable - can travel further with no worries, is cooler to own a new car, less gas due to better MPG of current cars, is 100% clean, can choose the color combination...

They were nothing more than excuses which didn't have any foundation except "choose the color combos..." even that can be fixed with a paint job. Fact is there is no way to justify buying a new car unless you really want a new model like the '05 Mustang right away. No one needs a brand new car, since a car that is only a year old will do just as good if not better. It just comes down to wanting a new car.

I like new cars simply because it's new, I can't justify it... However I made a promis to myself that I will NOT buy another new car unless I can pay for it in CASH!!!! Walk in with a certified check or do a bank transfer and drive out with a new car. That is the dream.

It's pretty easy for me to justify a new car.

Many people nickle and dime themselfs to death, spending a $5 here, $10 there, $20 over here. I see people who always have to have the latest gaget. Some people I know seem to change cell phones, PDA's, computers, TV's, etc. more freqently than I change the oil in my cars.

Other people I know will go and hire a painter for $1,000 to paint a room in their house. I spend $75 on paint & materials and do it myself.

So I'm dirt cheap when it comes to wasting money here and there on the little things. I save up my nickels and dimes and then every few years I blow it all in one shot on a new car.

I find it funny that people justify buying new cars, because "they want to be the ones to abuse it." Those are the ones that dont like to buy used because they think everyone drives like they do. So whay does it matter who rags it out? Like 66satellite said, if you look hard enough, you can find the right car. In all honesty a car that is 1 or 2 years old IMO can hardly be considered ragged out unless it was raced extensively (which you can tell) or driven in swamp land both of which are pretty unlikely.

There might actually be more risk driving a new car off the lot then a used. Think about the "have to have" 99 Cobra owners. They ended up getting a underperforming car because they bought new. If you bought that same a car a year or 2 old, you would have steered clear away from those. With used cars you can check records to see if any warranty work had been performed, maintenace records, and the like to see how reliable the car has been. Also, as soon as you drive the car off the lot its used. After about 6 months or so the great feeling of owning a brand new car is gone. Now all that you have is a used car and your are upside down between 4-6k dollars.

That being said, I own a 90Gt that I have meticulously maintained (bought used) and has been a great car but is starting to show its age. I have comtemplated buying a new stang for the simple fact that I love the new bodystyle and I am very picky on the options I want for this car. As someone mentioned earlier, waiting for a used to turn up that I really want without making compromises is going to be unlikely. Ford has been having some financial issues so if I can get a good interest rate I might consider it. If not I am sure I will be waiting till 2006 when people trade in their GT's for the Cobra or other "specialty stang."

SVTdriver said:

:lol: My Girlfriends brother got that same exact line yesterday when looking at an 03 Cobra

SWTSWNG said:
I find it funny that people justify buying new cars, because "they want to be the ones to abuse it." Those are the ones that dont like to buy used because they think everyone drives like they do. So whay does it matter who rags it out? Like 66satellite said, if you look hard enough, you can find the right car. In all honesty a car that is 1 or 2 years old IMO can hardly be considered ragged out unless it was raced extensively (which you can tell) or driven in swamp land both of which are pretty unlikely.

I disagree. If someone buys a new car with the intent of selling it after a year or two, what incentive is there for that person to break it in properly? This is an issue common to used Dodge Vipers. The owners buy them new, they start doing smokey burnouts and using full revs right away, they completely ignore the break in procedure and exhibit generally bad habits in taking care of the motor. When they sell the car, everythings cool. 20k miles or so later, the thing uses oil and is loosing compression.

If I buy the thing new, follow the break-in/maintanence schedule and never rev the engine when cold, I'll be able to get a ton of miles out of it and enjoy it too.

My 5.0 doesn't start moving untill the oil pressure is completely up and it never sees more than 1800-2000 rpm before it's completely up to temperature. I've got over 180,000 kms on it, it doesn't use any oil, makes great power and still gets 24-26 mpg on the highway.

SVTdriver said:
Because every dealer I've gone to. When looking at a used mustang will tell you. "It was owned by a 50 year old woman who babied it." And we all know how many of those cars are out there.
My '99 Cobra was driven by a 60 year old grandma :D. Seriously. I bought it from her, she hadn't driven it in a few months because she had rheumatoid arthritis and just had recent surgery, so she couldn't drive a stick anymore. So it does happen every once in awhile :banana:.

About buying a new car -- I don't need a reason, other than "I want it." :D. Why do we buy *anything* brand new? It's nice to know the entire history of a car, and if you intend to keep it for a good long time, why not buy it brand new. :shrug:

Dave