How do you know[Stuck valve}

gungfusemaj

Dec 13, 2003
Bradenton Fl
How do you know if you have a valve not working properly or not at all...I have a small "ticking" noise coming from around the #4 cylinder area, could it be a exhaust leak {gasket} or could I have a valve issue{improper gapping}
My car run's fine and strong I am just curios on what that clicking,,not knocking sound could be. :shrug: :shrug: 87gt resto project

• Sponsors (?)

gungfusemaj said:
How do you know if you have a valve not working properly or not at all...I have a small "ticking" noise coming from around the #4 cylinder area, could it be a exhaust leak {gasket} or could I have a valve issue{improper gapping}
My car run's fine and strong I am just curios on what that clicking,,not knocking sound could be. :shrug: :shrug: 87gt resto project

If the car's running ok, it most likely is not a stuck valve. If a valve sticks in the guide, it will bend the pushrod, or stick open and hit the piston. You would know by now. Most likely, an exhaust leak or a tired lifter.

If you want to check for sure, pull the valvecover and inspect for loose parts, such as the retaining bolt, a worn pushrod, tired spring, or similar.

Also make sure the air tube to the back of the head is tight. A leak here is also an exhaust leak.

Totally off the wall, make sure the spark plug is tight.