How do you make your loved ones understand...

That last paragraph is so full of FAIL its epic!

The Mustang has four seats with LATCH! Why do people have to confine themselves in these little archetypes and cater to everyone's silly expectations. Live a little enjoy life!

When I'll need something with more then two doors the answer is, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru STI, or 4 door M3. You don't have to trade in your likes and your personality for 'practicality' There is plenty of ways for everyone to be happy! while maintaining your own persona.

Sorry just had to rant a little I've seen too many times what giving up something you really want or like does to someone I hate when I hear people head down that way. :nice:

Who says you have to own 1 vehicle? Buy a Mustang, an SUV or something similar, and toss in a motorcycle for good measure. Then you'll have all angles covered. I'm with ya. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Thats a bummer. I lucked out, my girlfriend loves the fact that I have a ton of hobbies to occupy my time, not to mention the fact that she gets to share in the benefits of me having nice cars, so she figured out a long time ago that in the end we both win. Plus while I work on my car it gives her an opportunity to go out shopping with her friends and such, we both have our hobbies. win-win...You can always try and convince him of that fact.

He doesn't have that many hobbies actually. He grew up on a farm and his parents are all old school and such so he doesn't seem to even like to spend money. Maybe if I let him get his car that he wants first I can try again.

I don't know.. I mean asking for a brand new car when you're saving for a wedding and a house is a big request I guess.

I know most may not agree with me, but my two cents is to maybe enjoy the car you have for a year or two more until you get the house & wedding out of the way... an '11 GT will be cheaper then too.

I was looking at an '11 v6 w/ performance package to order, but I too am in the middle of saving for a wedding & just bought a house, saving for grad school etc, so sadly I couldn't get exactly what I wanted. The fiancee understands pretty well that I like cars, auto-x etc, but a some point I still gotta be practical... got bills to pay :p

Lol I would die if I were in that situation! The great thing about my b/f and I (we've lived together for 3+ years...minus well call us married!) is that we both have such a love for our cars, we support each other with whatever badass thing we want to get next. How many people can say they met their significant other at a street racing meet??? lol

The way I would approach it is you have your love for Mustangs, he has his love for building, sports, landscaping...whatever! Just about any hobby costs money...just yours costs a little more, but you'll get more out of it! :D

You should just go out and buy the car you want - show up with it the nxt time you see him....he sounds as 'bad' as my wife about spending money....it will only get worse...tell him it's cheaper than a psychologist / psycho thearphy ......

My wife has absolutely NO interest in my car, car shows, cruises etc. She won't even ride in the car - it's too rough/loud/hard to see out of. She complained once about the parts I was buying and found out that that wasn't a good idea. Sometimes I think it would be nice if she showed some interest but its just not her thing. We've been together for 30 years so I'm pretty sure it's not a deal breaker.

I don't know.. I mean asking for a brand new car when you're saving for a wedding and a house is a big request I guess.

Be afraid...be very afraid. A controlling man is probably NOT the person you would want to spend the rest of your life with. You seem like a very independent woman with interests....that's a good thing. Don't become someone you aren't just to "be with somebody". Sorry if that is too harsh, but I'm an older guy and it is the voice of experience.

I don't see how this makes him "controlling". It seems to me that he's just focusing more on the big picture. I'm the type of person that when I want something I want it now but that's not always the right move. We don't know what their financial situation is but if taking on a new car note is going to put a strain on their plans to buy a house maybe this isn't the right time. It's too easy to stand on the sidelines and just say "Do it!" when we aren't the ones who have to live with the decision.

Did I really just type that? My god I'm getting old. :( lol

Haha.. thank you all for the responses.

He told me today that the reason he doesn't want me to buy it because he wants me to wait a year and get one when they are cheaper, but I want to have it built from Ford, plus it seems like people are getting near close to invoice prices using X Plan and I believe I have access to one now.

I think he just doesn't see the value in buying a new car.

At any rate, I hope it all works out. :nice: Like you I am very excited about the new GT. So much so that I don't even want to test drive one. If I do I know it's pretty much getting purchased that day (even though I can't really afford it right now). :lol:

Your hubby is really not being that unreasonable - it's not like you're sitting on a wad of cash and he doesn't want you to get it. He has a much bigger, brighter picture in mind for you and him and, fact is, you DO already have a stang.... I was in a similar position for years. I'm about to be 39 and wanted a stang since I was a teenager, but in NYC, teenager+mustang= $5K for liability insurance, so I put it off and bought some imports to pass the time. Met wifey in my mid-20s and had a daughter pretty quick. We worked our butts off to buy our 1st house and had my son, and meanwhile I went thru various cars, which all had to have some level of practicality to them because I have a long commute to work and she needed something to haul the kids around safely (no minivans was my only rule, so SUVs were the alternate). In my early 30s, she blessed my purchase of a 91 300zx (with 100k miles) to play with - was only $7k, car was great, but not a stang (although I was never too thrilled with the late 90s, early 2000s stangs), and killed me with maintenance costs. Eventually got rid of that, needed to move to a better school district - basically there was always something else more important to pay/save for. When the 2005 stang came out, I knew I had to have 1, but just couldn't realistically fit it into the budget. Wifey never told me I could NOT have it, and was cool with my other car purchases (there were quite a few). Fast forward to 2 months ago, we got a better house in a better school district, both of our cars are paid off (her SUV, my sedan, both late model Acuras) and we had a little "cap space" in the budget but college and stuff is on the horizon (and I'm sure she was tired of hearing me talk about it for past 15 years) - now was a good time to make the move - got a 2007 GT with 7K miles and can't keep the grin off my face. I know it's not the prevailing theme on this thread, but the moral of the story is, sometimes you gotta look past your cravings for the greater good. Honestly sounds like the guy has your best interest at heart - isn't that what most women want?

Now that the sensible side of me has spoken, the man-side of me says, screw him, got get it and just bring it home - no man could be THAT mad when he's got a brand new 5.0 sitting in the driveway!!!!