How do you put -an fittings together??

jasonn

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2002
By Rochester MN
Just wondering? Do you put take apart the fitting and put the braided line in the one half first? Do you leave the fitting together and screw the braided line into it while it is together? Having an H of a time. Never put any together before. Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

You take the blue(male) and red(female) apart. They unsrew like normal. I like to wrap the braided line where I cut with tape. You can leave the tape if you like. Makes it a little easier. Having tin snips are always nice. Trim the extra line of braid hanging past the edge of the cut (if any). Then slide the braided line into the female (red). All the way up. Directions say to put a little tape on the line at the base of the female. This will tell you if the fitting begins to slide off when you screw it on. But if you put a little oil on the male section (on the nipple), it will go right in, and the female will never slide up.Slide it down as far as you can and begin to srew them back together. Done.

I followed these instructions and had no problems at all.

http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-28.html

When cutting the hose, I wrapped it with the nylon strapping tape, one tight wrap. I then inserted a wooden dowel the same size as the inner diameter of the hose. I used a brand new 32 tooth hacksaw to cut the hose in the center of the tape wrap.

Today I ordered 8 6AN fittings and hose to make the lines for my fuel injection install, I will be getting a lot of practice this weekend.

Wrap hose with duct tape before cutting (center of tape where cut needs to be). Use cuttoff wheel (thin wheel), if possible. Hacksaw is tougher to get right. If you use hacksaw, use very fine teeth. Disassemble AN fitting. Slide sleeve piece over hose. Carefully remove tape as to not fray metal threads. Oil end of hose surface that will slide into the AN fitting. Find a good, solid, vertical surface - like end of work bench, door jamb, etc. that you can push against. Start hose end into fitting - watch that all braids go into fitting (use very small screw driver, or such, to help push all braids into fitting before pushing, if necessary) and push hose into fitting using vertical surface to push against. Push hard. Hose should go all the way in. Re-aasemble fitting by screwing the sleeve part over the male piece you just inserted into the hose. Tighten snug.

Oiling hose braids is important for ease of installation. Oil inside and out of end to be inserted. I hadn't heard of leaving the tape on the cut hose, but doesn't sound too crazy - it should help keep the braids organized. In that case, the tape can't be overly thick, so one or two SNUG wraps should do it. Try to use a cuttoff wheel, or measure hose and take to speed shop, or such, and have them cut it. I used the cutoff wheel and it worked fine. My local shop uses a "dull" metal cutoff blade (no teeth), which they swear by. Push hose into fitting with one hard push, if possible. You can't get it too far, so push until you are satisfied that the hose has bottomed out.

Good luck.

What they said, with one addition:

Clear your calendar for the next week or so of anything for which bleeding from a dozen tiny pinholes in your fingers will be a problem. Don't sign a new mortgage, for instance - bank'll get upset about all the little blood blots you leave all over the paperwork. lol.

This article may help you too:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/12/ANfittings/index.php

lead.jpg

Attachments

• lead.jpg
    lead.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 140
red65 said:
What they said, with one addition:

Clear your calendar for the next week or so of anything for which bleeding from a dozen tiny pinholes in your fingers will be a problem. Don't sign a new mortgage, for instance - bank'll get upset about all the little blood blots you leave all over the paperwork. lol.

I can still remember the intense feeling of pain the first time I got stung by the braids. Sends chills right up your spine. :eek: