How do you remove the 'open door' dinger

machine1515

Apr 23, 2010
I often want to have the drivers door open AND listen to the radio. Well the combination of the key in and the drivers door open makes a 'dinging' noise.

Does anyone know how to remove this noise maker from under the dash? And does this same noise maker also notify the driver of the headlights remaining on after the keys are taken out?

94 GT Vert. Manual

• Sponsors (?)

I disconnected the leg going to the lock cylinder and the door can be open with the key on (no ding). Turning on the parking lights makes it ding though.

I taped up the contact in a harness under the dash below the steering column/above the pedals, or you could cut the wire. I'll take a pic later today and post it up. I do believe it also disables the lights on dinger, but not exactly sure and will check on that also.

EDIT: I found this info in an old post on the Corral...

Just unplug the wiring harness that attaches to the white box looking thing near your center console. Get under the dash and look up. This will turn off the door chime and the chime that happens when you put in the key.

If you want just the door chime off, cut the black wire with the purple stripe, that attaches to the wiring harness on the white box. Make sure to tape up the ends of the wire so you don't short anything out.

....but instead of cutting the wire I unplugged the harness and put electrical tape over the metal contact for that black/purple stripe wire then plugged the harness back together. Been that way for probably 13 years or so and no problems.

So cutting the black wire with the purple stripe gets rid of the chime for the open door as well as the chime when the key is in the ignition. However, the chime for the headlights still works and the ignition still chimes 6 times when you turn it to the 'on' position.

This works for me, I really wanted just the headlights chime to remain but I can live with the other as well.

Yes theres a white plastic box above the go pedal. just unplug it....i removed it for weight reduction.....j/k :rolleyes:

On a side note.....If you can't fine it (i dont see how) keep unbolting stuff untill you get to the BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING BING . :nice:

Chris