How do you wire a three prong, lighted, toggle switch?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
I have a lighted toggle switch that has three prongs on the back of it, but I am not sure what goes where.

Obviously two of them are just inline with the positive wire, and the third is either ground or positive for the light. I just don't know which it is, and which prong is for what. The bottom has them numbered 1, 2, 3. One of the outside ones (1 or 3) has a - and a + next to it. But none of the other two prongs have any writing, other than the number.

I searched and couldn't find any info. I just want it to light up when the switch is on and have the light off when the switch is off. I am using the switch to arm my nitrous.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a multimeter? You will find which are ground which are positive. IIRC the middle is ground, and one pole is also. If you have a multimeter you will tell which one is open. Good luck, oh did you google????

Do you have a multimeter? You will find which are ground which are positive. IIRC the middle is ground, and one pole is also. If you have a multimeter you will tell which one is open. Good luck, oh did you google????

Oh, I googled the hell out of it. :) I currently have three tabs open right now, with one I am searching these forums, with the second I am searching google, with the third I am refreshing this page hoping someone will chime in.

Unfortunatly my fluke is broken.....and I am trying to get the switch wired in tonight. I am racing tomorrow right after work and I am spending my lunch tomorrow installing the bottle and lines. I already have the wiring running through where the lighted switch will be and the solenoids and throttle body switch already installed.

Man, I hate it when I wait for the last minute to do things.

With my lighted switches, 1 is the power source, two is the accessory output and 3 is the ground for the switch illumination.

Do you have a test light? If so, take the switch and stand at your battery. Run Fused (a one amp fuse will be fine) jumper wire to the 1 terminal. Connect the test light to #2 and ground the other end of the test light.
When the switch is open the test light should be off. When the switch is flipped on (closed), the test light should illuminate. If this works, ground the #3 terminal and see if the switch still works and the lighted portion of the toggle/rocker switch works properly.

Good luck.

No, my fluke is broken, so I can't test it. If push comes to shove, I will just move the wires around until it works. I have the wires I need sticking out of the hole that the switch is going to fit in, so I will try your combo and see if it works. If not, I will swap the wires around until it works. I was just trying to wire it in tonight so I don't have to worry about it tomorrow. I already have to install the bottle holder, run the line from the bottle to the engine bay, and wire in the relay.....plus fill the bottle...all in an hour.

If you do the wire swapping, I'd still do as I suggested and not use the ground wire at first. Reason being, if the wires are connected to the wrong terminals, you can have a short to ground, and will go through a few fuses. :D

Good luck.

Makes sense, get the switch working with just the "inline" positive wire....then by default the remaining post should be the negative for the light.

Man I swear, in terms of "I owe you a beer".....I need to buy you your own brewery for all the help you have given me.