How does a bolt-on 4.6 2V compare to a stock 350Z?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speeds8erM-1 said:
97gtblue on here ran one that had almost no mods at a 350Z dyno day here in town, ran from a 20 roll and canned the 350Z. 97 GT has 3.73's, offroad h, flowsmashers, pulleys, filter. It was a few cars at least.

Well, 2 things: The 350Z wasnt racing or the driver shifted at 4 grand

a 97 GT with bolt-ons stands no chance against a 350Z from a stop and especially NOT from a roll, sorry just aint gonna happen

my 03GT with 3.90's, muffs and cai barely pulls a 350Z from a roll by like half a car length

• Sponsors (?)

5spd GT said:
Let's not stereotype drivers. I have seen good and bad from each driver of many different cars and trucks.

Also, handling is very similar.

A 350Z will beat a stock 98 and down gt...you just have to have a good driver. A 99+ car will usually get the win by a bit, with a good driver. The Mustang has the advantage, slight.

Are you comparing the handling characteristics of the 350z to a Mustang? I sure hope not, because a 350 will run laps around a Stang.

BLUE03GT said:
Well, 2 things: The 350Z wasnt racing or the driver shifted at 4 grand

a 97 GT with bolt-ons stands no chance against a 350Z from a stop and especially NOT from a roll, sorry just aint gonna happen

my 03GT with 3.90's, muffs and cai barely pulls a 350Z from a roll by like half a car length

LOL at that! Hate to tell you but I got the race setup, I filmed it, I was there when the State Trooper nailed us. 350Z dude wasnt happy about losing. Those are 9 second 1/8 mile cars at 76-78 MPH depending, this GT happens to run 9.1's@77 almost 78 MPH. Could run faster if he could 60 ft worth a damn, oh wait, 20 roll would take more advantage of the launch he should be capable of. Your 03 GT with 3.90's from a roll eh, what kind of roll? 3.90's aint helpin if it's a higher roll, thats for sure.

The glittery shirt poster child car got canned, plain and simple.

Being on both sides here (nissan and ford owner), I can tell you that the Z is a whole different calibur of car than the Mustang. The Z, with a good driver, will run high 13's all day long.. stock.. about the same as a stock PI 4.6 with a good driver. Both respond well to mods... and run about the same times with the same mods.. However, put both cars on a road course, and the Z would destroy the Mustang, period.. hands down. I've seen a stock Z, with a good driver, pushing a modified NSX around the road course. If you know what the NSX is all about, then, you realize how signifigant that is.

It's a shame, that a lot of them are owned by stupid pricks, who have no idea how to drive them... and they end up in a ditch on thier lid.

Travis

Speeds8erM-1 said:
The glittery shirt poster child car got canned, plain and simple.

No offense, but you obviously know nothing about the Z's build quality or background. The Z has just as much history/nosaltiga as the Mustang does.. dating back to the 60's.

The latest offering is a precise, refined machine.. ZERO body roll, and very sure-footed. It is probably one of the best 2 seater's that I've driven for under 30K. Squeezing over 300hp (newest engine) out of a 3.5 liter V6, and retaining it's status as one of America's 10 best engine's is no small feat. If you ever have the chance to put one through it's paces in the mountains, or on a road course... you would be blown away. The Z isn't a drag car... it never was intended to be... Just stupid kids have tried to make them out to be.. And, whether it was designed for that, or not, it sure can hang. Again, no offense... just wanted to share a few facts.

Travis

Stang|ess said:
Are you comparing the handling characteristics of the 350z to a Mustang? I sure hope not, because a 350 will run laps around a Stang.

Correct, I am...the 350z is not that far from the 99+s...just look at the stats.

Speeds - It is quite obvious the 350z owner did not know how to drive.

You really, honestly believe that a mustang handles close to a 350Z?? wow...

stats mean jack chit-- cars can be made to look good under car and driver's "AWESOME" handling test which consists of one run over the skid pad...
That means nothing when you're on the pavement working through the twists--or rather, the twists are working YOU

5spd GT said:
Correct, I am...the 350z is not that far from the 99+s...just look at the stats.

Speeds - It is quite obvious the 350z owner did not know how to drive.

Trav4011 said:
No offense, but you obviously know nothing about the Z's build quality or background. The Z has just as much history/nosaltiga as the Mustang does.. dating back to the 60's.

The latest offering is a precise, refined machine.. ZERO body roll, and very sure-footed. It is probably one of the best 2 seater's that I've driven for under 30K. Squeezing over 300hp (newest engine) out of a 3.5 liter V6, and retaining it's status as one of America's 10 best engine's is no small feat. If you ever have the chance to put one through it's paces in the mountains, or on a road course... you would be blown away. The Z isn't a drag car... it never was intended to be... Just stupid kids have tried to make them out to be.. And, whether it was designed for that, or not, it sure can hang. Again, no offense... just wanted to share a few facts.

Travis

I know plenty about their history and the new one is mostly for glittery shirt wearing douche bags, or at least thats the majority of people that buy them around here. Of course not EVERYBODY that owns one is a retard but ALOT of them are. There is a 350Z club around here and alottttt of them are fuggin douche bags. Not everybody of course, just alot of them. Should have seen the dyno day they had, never seen so many curled eye lashes on guys in one location.

I have ridden in a APS TT one, and a Turbonetics T60 one. Those are the only ones I have ridden in, turbo ones lol. The guy with the T60 turbo one is a cool mofo, he actually bought one because he liked it, not to be accepted by a group, or to try and impress people when you pull up at the club LOL like the majority of them do around here.

Yea they handle better and all of that but hell you can make a very successful road or autocross car out of a Mustang, just not in stock form haha.

Speed you are an ignorant fool, a 350Z will pull any bolt on 97GT from any speed....

And as far as my 3.90's go, they pull harder than stock gears up to 120mph which is faster than anyone needs to go to prove who can pull in top end... i have raced other bolt-on 99+ GTs with stock gears and my 3.90's pull on them from a roll all the time... the only thing my 3.90's limit is my top speed which is still higher than most 400hp cars can even achieve

my friend owns a 350Z track edition 6 speed...

We have raced about 30 times from a stop and from a roll... at all speeds... and its about even from a roll depending on who takes off first and from a stop i usually win (keep in mind my car has trapped 101mph which is normal for an intake and muffler 99+GT)

Like i said before, a bolt on 97 GT will not pull a 350z from any speed i dont care what the circumstance (only circumstance would be TERRIBLE DRIVER)

On a road course it is 90% a drivers race, especially if its a technical track... look at people at autocross and how seemingly slow cars do a lot better than ones that are meant to be a lot better

VPStang said:

stats mean jack chit-- cars can be made to look good under car and driver's "AWESOME" handling test which consists of one run over the skid pad...
That means nothing when you're on the pavement working through the twists--or rather, the twists are working YOU

gotta chime in real quick....just curious, have you ever been on a skid pan?

i know my question is a little off topic.....

BLUE03GT said:
Speed you are an ignorant fool, a 350Z will pull any bolt on 97GT from any speed....

And as far as my 3.90's go, they pull harder than stock gears up to 120mph which is faster than anyone needs to go to prove who can pull in top end... i have raced other bolt-on 99+ GTs with stock gears and my 3.90's pull on them from a roll all the time... the only thing my 3.90's limit is my top speed which is still higher than most 400hp cars can even achieve

my friend owns a 350Z track edition 6 speed...

We have raced about 30 times from a stop and from a roll... at all speeds... and its about even from a roll depending on who takes off first and from a stop i usually win (keep in mind my car has trapped 101mph which is normal for an intake and muffler 99+GT)

Like i said before, a bolt on 97 GT will not pull a 350z from any speed i dont care what the circumstance (only circumstance would be TERRIBLE DRIVER)

LOL at you TOOLBAG E thug! Your 3.90's aint doing D@CK from a roll smart guy. You are the one having your hands full with the 350Z yet are the same guy saying your 3.90's helped from a roll. Go figure. I dont see the NPI car winning from a 40 roll with this 350Z but from a 20 he canned em, you cant do anything to change that. BLAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAAHAAAHAHAAHAH

Oh and ,|,,

VPStang said:

Yes they handle very similar.

A skid-pad is a constant. It isn't what you "feel" on the road. It is under a controlled enviroment. Look at the stats...

By the way I have drove a 350z. It is a friend's mother who owns it. She let me flog it, me and the friend:D

They handle close.

Speeds - The gears don't hurt these cars like those stock 5.0L's of yours;)

5spd GT said:
Yes they handle very similar.

A skid-pad is a constant. It isn't what you "feel" on the road. It is under a controlled enviroment. Look at the stats...

By the way I have drove a 350z. It is a friend's mother who owns it. She let me flog it, me and the friend:D

They handle close.

Speeds - The gears don't hurt these cars like those stock 5.0L's of yours;)

Gears dont hurt to a point but a SOHC GT is hardly a 96-01 Cobra either. 3.90's arent helping from a roll unless you make the other car with less gear start at a roll they wouldnt normally race from or it's from first gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.