How does a March bracket work?

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
Anybody here have the March pn 1460 ac and ps eliminator bracket?

If so, exactly how does it mount? One waterpump bolt and two in the head with the long spacers?

Does the tensioner really work ok with the belt running with the groove side on the flat pulley?

I am looking to ditch the ps on my car, and could not figure all of this out from the pix I have seen.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

rd said:
Anybody here have the March pn 1460 ac and ps eliminator bracket?

If so, exactly how does it mount? One waterpump bolt and two in the head with the long spacers?

Does the tensioner really work ok with the belt running with the groove side on the flat pulley?

I am looking to ditch the ps on my car, and could not figure all of this out from the pix I have seen.

Thanks.

You don't want this setup. Mine squeels like a little pig whenever I load the 3G. I can't run my radio and heater at the same time.

I've switched to the March #1465. It's the adjustable alternater bracket. Then install a standard rotation waterpump.

The 1465 kit...

Altbracket.jpg

And the 1460 kit...

March01.jpg

88POSLX said:
You don't want this setup. Mine squeels like a little pig whenever I load the 3G. I can't run my radio and heater at the same time.

I've switched to the March #1465. It's the adjustable alternater bracket. Then install a standard rotation waterpump.

The 1465 kit...

Altbracket.jpg

And the 1460 kit...

March01.jpg

Thanks, that was exactly the info I was looking for!!!

I think I am going to just fab a bracket for an idler pulley.

I've used the March 1460 kit before and I didn't have any slipping or squealing problems. Sounds like either too long of a belt or a weak tensioner if it does. I got the 1465 kit only because it eliminates the big metal bracket that holds the alternator and pulley and gets rid of more stuff from the engine bay for a cleaner look. I currently have only the alt, water pump/fan, and crank on the belt, no tensioner, all have underdrive pullies, and use a 38" belt. This setup doesn't slip or squeal either.

attachment.php

BADPONYsc said:
I've used the March 1460 kit before and I didn't have any slipping or squealing problems. Sounds like either too long of a belt or a weak tensioner if it does. I got the 1465 kit only because it eliminates the big metal bracket that holds the alternator and pulley and gets rid of more stuff from the engine bay for a cleaner look. I currently have only the alt, water pump/fan, and crank on the belt, no tensioner, all have underdrive pullies, and use a 38" belt. This setup doesn't slip or squeal either.

attachment.php

Don't know what to say. I couldn't have gotten a shorter belt to fit and I tried a couple different tensioners. Maybe I'm unlucky or you're lucky. Trust me, I tried everything I could before laying out more cash to March.

I don't have any experience but I don't really like the March PS eliminator. I like the other setups, like the standard rotation waterpump and badpony's setup, but so little of the belt touches the wp.

I've thought of deleting p/s, getting a electric wp, and getting the '69 302 alt bracket from march that moves the alternator down so I don't need a idler pulley, really cleaning up the engine compartment.

Yeah, a standard rotation water pump would really be the best for my setup. It would put alot more belt on my WP pulley. I was just on a limited budget when I did it and the standard rotation pump just didn't make it into the project (Ya'll know how that is, I'm sure). The belt isn't on much of the water pump pulley, but it doesn't slip at all and we've even tested it by revving it up while someone stands at the engine and watches. It grips fine. There's no slipping or squealing and the water pump cools great.
The electric water pumps are a sweet idea, and ultimately my original "dream" would have been to get an electric water pump and electric fan and only have the alternator on the belt.... which wouldn't be a charging problem because I have a 130a alternator. But the electric water pumps are quite expensive and I would just worry about the day-to-day wear and tear on one... and if one goes out on you, it's not like you can just run up to Auto Zone and get a new one real quick.
But a standard pump and an electric fan are definately in my future plans. :nice: