How does a P1152 code work (rich condition)

I know what the code is and why I have it, however, would like to know what triggers it to come on --read my question below

when the code comes on, does that mean that it has been running lean previously and at the exact point when the cel comes on, it is compensating for lack of fuel, therefore triggering the rich code?

OR, does it go into a cycle where it is running rich for some time, then throws the cel to inform the driver.

I know the code has something to do with a 'test', however cant pinpoint exactly what that test is and therefore , triggering the CEL

I cant seem to nail down this answer anywhere and was wondering what your guys knowledge was on this subject

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, image that you are driving down the road and suddenly the car begins to veer right. What do you do? Apply a little left steering (correction). At first, the car is not responding to the steering correction. What do you do? Apply more correction. Then suddenly the car veers into the left hand wall. IE, the system goes from one extream to another with no apparent control in between.

Another way to think about it is this. What if the steering shaft coupling was disconnected (or perhaps even better think about way excessive slop)? Then turning the steering wheel would do nothing at all. No matter how far or how fast. Or which direction would the correction work. This is how a flat lined O2 sensor is seen by the PCM.

Are there any other DTC codes?

IMO, you are overthinking this and trying to gleam too much information from the DTC. The code is basically trying to tell you there is a problem with the fuel mixture feed back system. There are a ton of things that can cause this. The full list of possible causes is included in the P1130 DTC.

If this were my car, I would look for corroded O2 electrical connections first. Next look for contaminated O2 sensors.

>>From Ford service CD

P1152 - Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Rich A HEGO sensor indicating rich at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-lean condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time. See Possible Causes for DTC P1130

P1130 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Fuel Trim at Limit The HEGO Sensor is monitored for switching. The test fails when the HO2S fails to switch due to circuit or fuel at or exceeding a calibrated limit.

Electrical:
Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S
Water in harness connector
Open/Shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged PCM

Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system

Induction System:
Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum Leaks
PCV system
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Cam timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)

Last edited:
Haha, I like your image!

I have a small xhaust leak at the header which is throwin the codes, however the code will only come on after a while of driving i.e 2-3 weeks. Reason I asked my previous question is I want to know if the car is running lean (unmetered air) during the 2-3 weeks before the cel comes on or like you said, is it correcting the lean condition in the meantime but when the light comes on, it is an overly rich/extreme condition therefore setting off the code

I also get 1132 which is also related

Thank-you. I looked long and hard for a avatar that "works" for my style.

Do you have long tubes? What brand of O2 sensor are you using? How old are they?

If LT, what could be happening is a near complete lack of heat in the O2 sensors which is slowing their response to the point that the PCM no longer thinks it has fuel control.

As O2 sensors age, their response times slows. This could also be contributing to the problem.

And you are positive that you do not have a vacuum leak.

What about fuel pressure? Is it stable? Can you data log/test fuel pressure?

For LT, the NAME brand FORD O2 sensors are the best to use.

Haha, I like your image!

I have a small xhaust leak at the header which is throwin the codes, however the code will only come on after a while of driving i.e 2-3 weeks. Reason I asked my previous question is I want to know if the car is running lean (unmetered air) during the 2-3 weeks before the cel comes on or like you said, is it correcting the lean condition in the meantime but when the light comes on, it is an overly rich/extreme condition therefore setting off the code

I also get 1132 which is also related
2-3 weeks is a very long time. Too long to draw a useful conclusion from.

Again, I think you are trying to gleem too much information from the DTC code. IMO, the root problem is for some reason, the PCM is not getting a good signal from the O2 sensor. Either because of a wiring problem or slow response from the sensor.

The PCM is constantly monitoring the O2 sensors to see that the adjusments are working. The O2 feedback is so slow (or interrupted), that the adaptive fuel trim strategy can not converge. This is what throws the DTC.

The challenge is to find out why.

What you are failing to realize is the code is trying to indicate a break down in the adaptive fuel trim strategy. If this were just an exhaust leak problem, the the O2 sensors would read lean and that would be the end of it.

Back to the driving analogy. When the wheel is turned in a direction, you expect the car to go in that direction.

But that's NOT what is happening. Imaging turning the wheel to the right and instead, the car turns LEFT!

Are you having trouble understand what the DTC is saying or are you having problems understanding why a corroded electrical connection could cause this? Or how a contaminated O2 sensor can cause this? Or how an exhaust leak could make a marginal O2 sensor problem WORSE?

Let me give you another analogy. Image that you are driving down the road and it's raining. The windshield wippers are working. But if you break the process down, the windshields is not clean all of the time. It is clean for a period of time until the next swipe of the wipers. But it's OK because the the views are arriving at a frequent enough rate.

Now image it begins to rain harder and the windshield wippers slow down. Now the periods of time that the road can not be seen will be longer. The driver is getting small snap shots in time and has to make corrections between snap shots.

As the time between snap shots gets longer, at some point effective control is no longer possible. There is simply too much happening between snap shots.

You did not answer my question about long tubes. Are there any other "issues" with your ride? Any mods?

Thanks for your input thus far..Some answers to your questions are the following:

LT's are MAC HTS coated
O2s-not sure what brand and Im sure they are original (car is 96)
No Vaccumm leak
Not sure how to check for fuel pressure...I do have a SCT in which I can data log if needed

As far as car issues, after an extended period of time (if i do not disconnect the battery to reset the PCM), the car will surge upon deacceleration.. I thought/think this is a result of my exhaust leak in which the PCM goes into closed loop as the A/F ratio is banged up due to the unmetered air--so i have been told, i dunno

other than that, thats pretty much it.....I do have a mail order tune and mostly utilize street tune,but regardless if stock tune or mail tune, my problem would occur

thanks again

In my opinoin the exaust leak is causing this . How many times have you reset a code to have it come back two weeks later. If i'm not mistaken the ecm ( whatever we call it today ) does periodic checks of sensors. If you are getting fresh air into an o2 wouldn't this cause a lean condition. If I'm a dumbass please say so I can learn.

sorry i thought you said lean guess i am a DA

I have a mustang gt 2000 and in cold start the revs go up and down like bouncing and sometimes the engine dies, but after a little bit it runs fine, this codes are the ones i have p1152 and p1132

I have a mustang gt 2000 and in cold start the revs go up and down like bouncing and sometimes the engine dies, but after a little bit it runs fine, this codes are the ones i have p1152 and p1132
There's a ton of information given in post #2. What have you done to utilize the information already given in this thread? What were the results?

Have you tested the battery and alternator?

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Here's some information on how to trouble shoot Idle/IAC issues.

Troubleshoot IAC idle problems 1996-2004
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/troubleshoot-iac-idle-problems-1996-2004.13/