How far can you go once low fuel light comes on?

Discussion in '1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by ga289stocker, Dec 13, 2010.

1. 04GreyGtUSAF

04GreyGtUSAF Member

+1
    I have gone 60 miles after the light comes on. According to the pump and manual, I had about .4 gals left. I only let it get this low on drives across the country when I am going for time and only stop when i get gas.
  2. CatmanJJ

CatmanJJ Captain Tangnet

I don't know how you do it, i'd be at the gas station every other day if that was the case. I just about can see the gas gauge move when I nail the gas. :p
  3. 40oz

40oz Member

I've only ever gone ~30 miles after the light came on. Was that far to a gas station.

I'm going to question the "dirt gets picked up" thing. What happens to that "dirt" in my tank when I drive on rough roads at 60 miles an hour? It's not like our cars ride smooth. I'd guess the fuel in the tank is sloshing around like a blender most of the time. How is it that it magically escapes the pump pick-up when we're driving?

I'm not saying it's good for the car to run it down to the minimum, but there's a difference between logic and merely repeating as gospel what someone else has said simply because it "sounds" logical.