How far will SLP go?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I suspect they will go almost all mustang as far as their R&D goes. My suspicion is that whoever comes up with a 3V head swap for us will take over the world. They'd get my money that's for whole hella sure.

And i second the new intake idea. How many L-series intakes are there these days??! We have ONE!!!! ONE!!!

It's pretty well known that pretty much no one buys SLP's heads. Their headers sit entirely too low as well. For the most part, their best sellers are the lids, loudmouth/catbacks, and subframes. Pretty much, f-body peeps usually stay away from them. They are way over priced, and there are much better products out there.

demonspeed said:
It's pretty well known that pretty much no one buys SLP's heads. Their headers sit entirely too low as well. For the most part, their best sellers are the lids, loudmouth/catbacks, and subframes. Pretty much, f-body peeps usually stay away from them. They are way over priced, and there are much better products out there.

Hopefully if they flood the market with modular products the price will drop across the board, esp. with intakes and heads

NFCStang said:
Hopefully if they flood the market with modular products the price will drop across the board, esp. with intakes and heads

That's the best thing about having more competition.

I can't speak for the quality of sound from their Loudmouth system, but the quality of the C/B itself looks much better to me than Magnaflow. Before any of you start ripping me a new one for that, I used to have the 'packs on mine.

SLP ... 304 S.S., nice clamps, unpolished mufflers (so what!), nice double-wall tips.

MAGNAFLOW ... ??? S.S., polished mufflers (who really cares besides carshow people), cheap clamps, lousy set screw (falls out) tips with that FUGLY hole in the bottom of them (for baffles).

Any of you that really know me, knows I will eventually change my exhaust again (for the 5th time :D ) so it looks like SLP is the way to go if/when I do it again. :nice:

I have the Loudmouth and Y-pipe, and I must say I don't have many complaints. The only reason I have the y-pipe is because I got a good deal from a friend. It hangs a little too low though. The clamp they sent with the loudmouth busted when I tried to tighten it. The pipes over the axle don't line up so well, so my passenger side sticks out a little farther than the driver and sits higher.

I like the way it sounds though. 100% sure it would sound like crap with out cats though.

01'TRUE BLUE GT said:
That's the best thing about having more competition.

I can't speak for the quality of sound from their Loudmouth system, but the quality of the C/B itself looks much better to me than Magnaflow. Before any of you start ripping me a new one for that, I used to have the 'packs on mine.

SLP ... 304 S.S., nice clamps, unpolished mufflers (so what!), nice double-wall tips.

MAGNAFLOW ... ??? S.S., polished mufflers (who really cares besides carshow people), cheap clamps, lousy set screw (falls out) tips with that FUGLY hole in the bottom of them (for baffles).

Any of you that really know me, knows I will eventually change my exhaust again (for the 5th time :D ) so it looks like SLP is the way to go if/when I do it again. :nice:

Well there is still one place where I feel we can make an argument for the Magnaflow stuff---

1. 304ss would only increase our production cost by about a dollar- there is a reason we dont use it. It was never intended for exhaust use. There is a lot of problems with it work hardening, and becoming brittle.

We use several different grades of stainless, each one is different because each part of the muffler is subject to different levels of heat, and burden...

2. The set screw problem- We had a problem with one of the machines, which has been fixed

3. Internals- The bottom line is, Magnaflow muffler are A LOT more expensive to make then the SLP mufflers. They use an angel hair fiberglass, which will only become much louder over time.....as they will suffer from blow back and water absorption.

We have our rock wool, which has much higher costs then fiberglass, but will not suffer from blow back, and will not absorb water over time, the Magnaflows will sound the same 2 years down the line.

4. X pipes with converters. I see a major flaw in their X pipe with converter design. (Heck, maybe they will read this and change it, which is fine)

You CAN NOT CLAMP IN converters, and expect them to pass smog in some areas, if you have the IM240 test.

The problem is, clamps leak, and when they leak, they actually draw air from outside into the exhaust system, which is a problem if you have clamps before the converters, as it will give you high NOX readings.....

which of course is important if you live in a place where they run the IM240 smog test...

As a converter company, we give seminars across the country on proper converter installation.

Welding the converters is more expensive of course.

5. Clamps- I would not call our clamps cheap, but I see your point. Our clamps are still stainless steel though and the bottom line is they work. I have never had any problems with them on my car, and have not read about any problems here.

Now of course I think we could do a little bit better job with our tips, but I think those holes will make more sense when we finish our baffles.

6. HP- On the catbacks, there will probably not be much difference. We have all ready flow tested their mufflers, and ours did still marginally out flow their mufflers, but not enough to see much of a difference on a dyno if any.

Mandrel bend 2.5" piping is pretty much the same.

I think the entire debate is going to come down to sound between the two.

I think the hp numbers on the catback are pretty similar, and I think they both offer different distinctive sounds, and it will be up to the consumer to decide....

Sorry to go off here, but when you make parts for GM, Ford, Daimler Chrylser, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda exc exc exc based on quality, I guess you could say we can get a little defensive sometimes.....

but as always, I am going to bring this thread to my next sales meeting, so that I can show them your points, because I dont think we are perfect, and I think that the points you have brought up are good for us to see...

so please dont think in defense that I was trying to say that you were wrong, just trying to present our side of the argument is all.....

I think you presented your points in a good way, and I appreciate the feedback soming from someone who currently has Magnaflow on their car....

Hopefully no one"flames" you, because any time someone brings up stuff like you did, it gives us something to look at.....

Thank you,

Brent

and again, if anyone else would like to add any constructive comments for us, I am completely open.....

(I am working on having different tips made that you could buy seperately that would fit right onto your existing catback, with our welding based on the last thread we had like this. )

i have magnaflow on my GT, and I love the sound, and quality goes along with it. Now, I have not yet see any SLP for Mustang. I have however seen SLP for F-body(my buddy had a SW6 TA. He has since traded for 03 Cobra), and their quality - from my dumb end user eye - was very nice. par with Magnaflow. i thnk As far as exhaust product goes My vote will goes to Magnaflow. SLP is nice, becouse they are not just exhaust comapny. they makes -at least on F bodies - made allay of stuff for it. Now if Manaflow could just comeout with headers....

I wanted to offer a few corrections regarding the SLP products:

1. 304ss would only increase our production cost by about a dollar- there is a reason we dont use it. It was never intended for exhaust use. There is a lot of problems with it work hardening, and becoming brittle.

304 ss is far superior to all 400 series ss. Bottom line is that it is more expensive - SLP's decided to use it so we could offer the BEST material possible. If you question the longevity of 304, look at what the race team, race marine and high end manufacturers use.....304ss.

3. Internals- The bottom line is, Magnaflow muffler are A LOT more expensive to make then the SLP mufflers. They use an angel hair fiberglass, which will only become much louder over time.....as they will suffer from blow back and water absorption.

SLP's LM system is built ENTIRELY from 304 ss. We do not use ANY fiberglass or packing. Nothing to wear out here.

4. X pipes with converters. I see a major flaw in their X pipe with converter design. (Heck, maybe they will read this and change it, which is fine)

You CAN NOT CLAMP IN converters, and expect them to pass smog in some areas, if you have the IM240 test.

The problem is, clamps leak, and when they leak, they actually draw air from outside into the exhaust system, which is a problem if you have clamps before the converters, as it will give you high NOX readings.....

which of course is important if you live in a place where they run the IM240 smog test...

As a converter company, we give seminars across the country on proper converter installation.

Welding the converters is more expensive of course.

Simply not true. GM trucks use the SAME band clamps SLP uses to clamp in the cats on the 6.0L trucks. BTW, clamping in the cats is MORE expensive.

:flag:

demonspeed said:

That is totally true. I have a lot of friends with LS1s and i didn't even know SLP has a cam/head package. They never talked about it. All i thought SLP made was exhaust and air lids. :shrug: