How fast can you run with the overdrive turned off on an auto trans?

aj1025

Jul 4, 2003
Tyler Texas
I like to know if anyone knows how fast you can run your car with the overdrive turned off with the stock 3:27 gears before the rev limiter kicks in? And for the guys who race at the track, do you race with your overdrive turned ON or OFF?

• Sponsors (?)

So am I understanding this correctly that overdrive under full throttle doesn't come on til' 120+. So at the track it really wouldn't be neccesary for a stock auto GT to turn it off cuz your never gonna get to OD. I notice that my Stang goes a hair quicker with OD off it could just be me then. So if you have OD off and your trappin 120+ whats gonna happen is it gonna hit the limiter? I hope this makes sense cuz I'm sick and have really good meds! :D

true blue blood said:
So am I understanding this correctly that overdrive under full throttle doesn't come on til' 120+. So at the track it really wouldn't be neccesary for a stock auto GT to turn it off cuz your never gonna get to OD. I notice that my Stang goes a hair quicker with OD off it could just be me then. So if you have OD off and your trappin 120+ whats gonna happen is it gonna hit the limiter? I hope this makes sense cuz I'm sick and have really good meds! :D

It won't hit the limiter unless you trap at 140+. If you could hit the limiter before the traps w/stock gears... :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: . I would leave OD off anyway, simply because leaving it in 3rd will help you engine brake after you let off the gas, instead of it upshifting and letting you coast. Just my $.02.

true blue blood said:
So other than helping the engine brake down it won't hurt the OD bands unless your goin 120+. Does leaving OD off make you go any quicker like maybe a 1/10th or is it that I got stickers I feel faster thing?

I really don't think leaving OD off will make you any faster, since all it's doing is turning the OD off. I don't think we're on the same sheet of music here anyway. You will NEVER need to shift into OD on the track w/stock gears because the car will go 140 mph in 3rd. Just do yourself a favor and leave the OD off when you're really getting on it. Your tranny will thank you later. :nice:

GotMustangs said:
I really don't think leaving OD off will make you any faster, since all it's doing is turning the OD off. I don't think we're on the same sheet of music here anyway. You will NEVER need to shift into OD on the track w/stock gears because the car will go 140 mph in 3rd. Just do yourself a favor and leave the OD off when you're really getting on it. Your tranny will thank you later. :nice:

100% correct.... turn it OFF! Why even allow it to shift to O/D if you are going to be stopping in a very short distance anyway? Save your brakes a little...

Take it from me... my O/D is starting to slip again and I just had the tranny rebuilt 2 years ago. I had a few races against camaros that wanted to run half mile instead of 1/4... so I shifted into O/D. While O/D is a DOG, I had a pretty good lead on them already... so I played the LS-1 game and now I'm going to be paying for it. Guess I'll just get that stall converter sooner than I thought. :D