How fast is a '89 LX Notchback stock?

Jimmy2.3Mustang

Jul 14, 2006
I'm looking at this Mustang I'm considering buying... It's a 89 LX Notchback, 5.0 5spd, 45,000 miles, completely stock and absolutely mint condition. I'm pretty well sold, but I'm curious what kind of times I can expect out of it without changing anything?

My buddy's telling me he saw a similar car run 13.5 completely stock.

• Sponsors (?)

A 13.9x is possible on a good day with a good driver, on a good set of drag radials. The factory gears really hurt a fox body. Gears and some decent traction can put one in the 13s. I ran 14.0s with gears and exhaust, but rockingham isn't that great for hooking up.

high 13s are easily possible with a good tire on the car. My GT ran a 14.7 bone stock, and this is with a burnt out posi and 200lbs more than a notch. 200lbs = about 0.2s and my 60-foot was 2.4... if you shave off 0.4 off the 60-foot, you'll take off about 0.6 or maybe more in the 1/4. So; 14.7-0.2-0.6 = 13.9... no prob. (that was my first time at the track too, so with practice, 13.5 may be possible... deffinitely possible with gears.)

It belongs to an older guy who bought it new and only drove it on clear weekends. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I might run it down the track a couple times a year. Aside from fresh plugs and a tune up, it'll be left alone. I just want to get a solid idea of what the car is capable of.

I only ran a 15.0 @ 98 MPH (I know, really high MPH for that kind of a time) last summer, before advancing the timing and throwing on an off-road X-pipe. I couldn't get squat for traction - 4.10's are overkill for a T-5 notch, unless you've got DR's/slicks and/or suspension mods (I'm running stock-sized tires). Also, you have to account for the fact that, as a fast-shifting driver, I SUCK. :D

My previous '89 notch ran the exact same time with a lower MPH, with just a K&N panel filter and an off-road H-pipe - a flat 15-second run with the stock 3.08's, stock shifter, stock suspension, and bald-ass 225/50/R16 tires on Pony rims.

As stated, with good tires and good driving, 14's are your home in a stock notch.

ive seen 13.80s-13.90s out of them but that takes an EXCEPTIONAL driver on an EXCEPTIONAL track and EXCEPTIONAL day...low 14s will be easy with a few passes under your belt though

Realistically, it's a mid-14 second car.

Theoretically it prob can hit 13's, but that's with a great driver and assuming it's still as powerful as when it left the factory floor 18 years ago.

impulseblue, that is awesome...

with 130,000 miles and 15 inch phone dial wheels i ran 14.70 @ 95.
with only ram air and pullies i improved to 14.40 @ 96

the mph isn't bad 1320/95=13.90 if everything goes perfect. i'm obviously not perfect but happy with my runs. i gotta say....with a 2.73 i felt like i could takes a nap at half track leaving it in 3rd until the traps!

impulseblue, that is awesome...

with 130,000 miles and 15 inch phone dial wheels i ran 14.70 @ 95.
with only ram air and pullies i improved to 14.40 @ 96

the mph isn't bad 1320/95=13.90 if everything goes perfect. i'm obviously not perfect but happy with my runs. i gotta say....with a 2.73 i felt like i could takes a nap at half track leaving it in 3rd until the traps!

Thanks. And that was still with the air silencer still in to. the worst run of the day was a 13.97 at 99mph still with a 1.9 60ft. Guess mine is a freak.

I ran 13.57 with a 1.94 60ft with my no option notch. My car weights 3045lbs And that is on street tires

You know what impulseblue, I agree with yours being a freak. I have owned 4 foxs and driven at least a dozen. My first was an 88 no option as well, and NONE have pulled as hard as that guy when they were stock, or even slightly modified. This is not the first time I have heard a story concurrent with mine either...:shrug:

You know what impulseblue, I agree with yours being a freak. I have owned 4 foxs and driven at least a dozen. My first was an 88 no option as well, and NONE have pulled as hard as that guy when they were stock, or even slightly modified. This is not the first time I have heard a story concurrent with mine either...:shrug:

This is my first stang and i guess i got a good one. So do you know how rare these no option cars are. All i know is that it is 1of829 oxford white coupes. If you know anything else that would be awesome. I have all the paperwork for the car including the window sticker. I want to know how rare it is before i start to mod it.