how fast will ET Drags(or slicks in general) wear on the street?

axeman

Founding Member
Feb 9, 2001
Elizabethtown, PA
i'm going to be getting new tires for the track soon. i am debating on stepping up to ET Drags from ET Streets. would it be safe to run them on the street if no rain was in the forecast? i am wondering how fast they wear away if i would run them to the track and back once in a while. do they wear about the same as ET Streets?

• Sponsors (?)

i went through two sets of e.t streets on my car. i only got about 5-6k miles out of them each time. only used them in the street, i have a set of slicks for the track. they work nice in the street but wear out fast.

edit: sorry i thought you were debating on getting e.t streets.

well, i have et streets now and run them to the track sometimes, but mostly change them there. i am debating on getting a set of et drags. i will be changing them at the track all the time, except when i don't feel comfortable letting my street tires and tools lay around, like at cecil on friday nights. i was just wondering if i could run the et drags on the street once in a while, but everywhere else i would change them there. maybe i should just get the et drags and take a chain and lock with me to secure everything in the pits. i don't trust people too much. i know for the most part, people that go to race are cool, but then you got all those punks/ricers at cecil on friday nights.

axeman said:
well, i have et streets now and run them to the track sometimes, but mostly change them there. i am debating on getting a set of et drags. i will be changing them at the track all the time, except when i don't feel comfortable letting my street tires and tools lay around, like at cecil on friday nights. i was just wondering if i could run the et drags on the street once in a while, but everywhere else i would change them there. maybe i should just get the et drags and take a chain and lock with me to secure everything in the pits. i don't trust people too much. i know for the most part, people that go to race are cool, but then you got all those punks/ricers at cecil on friday nights.
Yup,punk highschoolers who have something to prove to there friends.Hell you can run true blue slicks on the street!Just dont get caught,use center caps if you have em(looks less conspicuos) If you get pulled over,tell the cop your on your way home from the track.Your lug wrench broke!

I've run with autocross slicks as my daily-driver tires on my Fiero and I get somewhere around 5000-7000 miles a set. (Which is pretty good because I usually drive half that many miles a year in the car.) I've used BFG T/A R1s (not made any more) and Kumho Ecsta V700s. The slicks grip surprisingly well in the rain and are even drivable in snow, as long as you don't plan on going more than 20mph. (This is in a Fiero, mind you, so a Mustang would do even worse in the snow.) The BFGs and Kumhos are DOT approved, so they're street legal.

Admittedly, they're autocross tires not drag slicks, but they are slicks nonetheless. If I had the cash for it I'd have bought slicks yet again for my Fiero, but the regular Kumho 711s were less than half as much and I'm trying to dedicate most of my money expenditures on my Mustang.

Anyway, I don't think you'll have any problems driving with slicks on the street to and from the track. Just stay out of the throttle when you're off the track and you should be fine.

I've run my ET drags on the street on a number of occasions with no problems. However, I have them screwed to a set of 10 holes with 10 holes up front and the white lettering rubbed off. I even went through a police check stop with the slicks on one night and they didn't even notice.

If I were you though, I'd get the ET streets again. At least if a cop does stop you, you have a leg to stand on. With the slicks, expect a tow truck to take you and your ticket home.