how good are gt40y heads????????quick please

• Sponsors (?)

The Y303 is the lowest flowing aluminum head available. The flow numbers on them are quite similar to the cast iron GT40's or GT40P's. If you're trying to build for serious peak HP, you'll either need to port them or, better alternative, go with something else. By the time you've bought them, and ported them you'd be better off buying a set of AFR165's.

I love mine - but big peak numbers aren't what I was after. I bought mine used - ebay. They were brand new - never been run on an engine, but they had been torqued down - they came off of a new crate engine. I paid $891+shipping about 2 years ago.

The TW have always been $849 since their introduction...I haven't priced them recently, but can't imagine them having gone up in price. By assembled, I mean with the valves, springs, & retainers installed, not rockers. Those aren't included on any heads.

miamifiveoh said:
The TW have always been $849 since their introduction...I haven't priced them recently, but can't imagine them having gone up in price. By assembled, I mean with the valves, springs, & retainers installed, not rockers. Those aren't included on any heads.

Can you point me in the right direction? I can't find them for under $1050.

If you were going to have a blown 306 I wouldnt bother with the AFR 165's i would save up a couple more hundred bucks an get the 185's.. IMO ... Do it once, honestly though both heads are great heads... I look at the 165's for a 302 and the 185 for a 331 and up.. but if you are putting a blower on your 306 then i would get the 185's... good luck

For normally aspirated, I agree with 93Cobra - but for a blown street car, heck, since you're blowing the air in under boost, I'd stick with the 165's -- use the smaller ports and valves to take advantage of a bit more umph down low before the boost really comes up.

Michael Yount said:
For normally aspirated, I agree with 93Cobra - but for a blown street car, heck, since you're blowing the air in under boost, I'd stick with the 165's -- use the smaller ports and valves to take advantage of a bit more umph down low before the boost really comes up.

I concur...the 165's would be a torque monster in the low RPM's due to the smaller valves and port volume even with a centerfugal blower...and still would pull like a mother up top...it's like a never ending powerband... :nice: