how good is the stock clutch?

Wow...I don't know what's going on here, but I've never seen a stock clutch act like is being described...I've actually never had one slip on me at all, I've blown up trannies and changed them more than I've worn out stock clutches. FOr some reason I always seem to convince myself to go heavy duty, but the stock ones never gave me problems on hard launches or aggressive driving.

• Sponsors (?)

stangbear427 said:
Lucky you. It's so sad when they start to slip- always when you were about to do something real impressive...

Not just me (I don't want to take all the credit), I happen to know of other cars that launch at 5500+ on ET Streets, powershifting T5s and don't have problems. Maybe it's in the driving? :shrug:

SmockDoiley said:
I would have to say dont get a clutch that cant handle a POS '84. Why not get a CenterForce DF. They are awesome, and will take any abuse you can throw at it. Plus they have weighs on the pressure plate that help deal with the clutch pedal. My clutch feels as soft as a stock clutch yet it handles 450-500 horses. Great clutch and a good price. I dont know about other clutches, but you can rebuild the Centerforce pressure plates too. I'm running a Supercharged stroker and it takes it just fine.
where and how much is this clutch . . . :D

stangbear427 said:
No- I think it's more just a matter of time...

lol...you must have had some really bad experience with a stock clutch to be so dead set against it. Just for the sake of argument, we're talking about 65k street miles and probably 50 or so track passes. How much more time does it need?

With how much HP? That sounds absolutely insane. Are you just egging me on, or are you being honest about those numbers? Maybe I haven't done enough asking, but I've never heard anything like that. Honestly though, I was more upset with my King Cobra than I ever was with a stocker. Maybe it wouldn't have hurt my feelings so bad if I hadn't paid highway robbery prices for it from Mustangs Unlimited. Live and learn...

Did not read any of the previous replies. All I have to say is that neither the stock tranny or clutch were built to have people launch these cars at 4,000-5,000 rpm and expect them to last. Not many cars are. It's a testament to these stock pieces that anyone posts and asks about them. That being said, give her hell. The worst thing that will happen is that you will have to replace it with a better clutch.......or tranny. :)
Serioulsy though, if you plan on hitting the track a lot, go with a better clutch like the SPEC stage 1 or 2 (once you end the stocker).

stangbear427 said:
With how much HP? That sounds absolutely insane. Are you just egging me on, or are you being honest about those numbers? Maybe I haven't done enough asking, but I've never heard anything like that. Honestly though, I was more upset with my King Cobra than I ever was with a stocker. Maybe it wouldn't have hurt my feelings so bad if I hadn't paid highway robbery prices for it from Mustangs Unlimited. Live and learn...

I'm not just egging you on...the two cars inparticular that I'm thinking of, one runs very low 12's, and one runs very low 13's -- we're talking like .0's-.1's. The horsepower isn't crazy numbers, but we're talking factory stock type cars, so they launch hard and run fast with not too much.

5spd GT said:
my NAPA replacement clutch set

What did that cost you, like $500? :rolleyes:

I always assumed that NAPA parts were better than the stuff from Autozone or some other autoparts store, but my experience has proved that they're just overpriced, not any better. No offense or anything--I just won't give NAPA any more of my money.

SmockDoiley said:
I've run CenterForce DFs in 2 of my cars now and they were the only clutches that would hold the power, and even better was the soft pedal cause I dont have huge thighs.

I put a Centerforce DF in my '93 LX and like it just fine. Easy pedal effort, good grip. I only had the car for a few thousand miles after I put the clutch in it but I had no problems with it. My Fiero has had a Centerforce DF in it for the last 15K miles too, with light pedal effort and good grip. (It's only making about 150hp, so I doubt the Centerforce is really being taxed too hard though. :lol: )

TheFleshRocket said:
I've got a King Cobra clutch installed (thanks to the previous owner) and a TriAx shifter on the way. So what's the tranny of choice once the factory tranny grenades itself?
That totally depends on if you plan on staying with the power you claim to have. Lot's of people just rebuild them when they blow, because it's cheap, they are super light weight, and not as parasitic as the heavy duty ones tend to be. If you already invested in a TriAx and end up loving it, you may want to look into a World Class or G-Force T-5 so you can re-use it. The G-Force is growing in popularity, but I think the two big ones of choice are still the TTC 3550 and TKO- @$1200 and $1400 respectively. Either would handle your power level. If you are planning on a bit more, the TKO II is very under-rated, pretty much bulletproof in most streetcars. For much more, a T-56 would keep you safe up into the 400-550 horsepower range, although the appeal of the six speed has many people getting it when it's a huge overkill for their torque rating. If you are planning on getting really sick (and don't wuss out and drop an auto in there), an X2C TKO 1.0 or 2.0 will handle 8 and 9 second cars. There's also the Jerrico which is just crazy expensive- but shifting them has been described as "like pulling two magnets together." Your decision will be based on those two mystical numbers: HP, and dollars.

i highly recommend the Spec clutches..for a stock replacement go for the stage one...

i was in a hurry to get my new motor running and the car drivable so i used one of those RAM stock replacment clutches...with my new motor i get to about quarter throttle and it slips..but i guess thats good cause at least the clutch will slip before blowing up my stock T5 :nice: