How hard is drag racing on cars?

red94fiveo

Apr 12, 2003
Wichita, KS
I have yet to take my car to the track to run the 1/4, but I would really like to see what its capable of, especially after the new heads and cam go on. I was wondering how hard running the 1/4 will be on my car. I already run SCCA auto-x 10-15 times a years, and I am assuming the drag strip won't be any harder on my car than auto-xing, is that a correct assumption or not?

• Sponsors (?)

Well its the hard launching/low 60ft times that hurt cars. I went through two stock diff's, and bent two axles. Next to go will most likely be the tranny, ive since upgraded my rear end so hopefully i wont have to worry about that.

If your runing street tires then you wont hurt much, but once you start cutting 1.6-1.8 60ft's on nittos/ET streets thats when things break.

well if you drive anything like me or my friends... not any harder than everyday driving. ha ha, thats bad.

anyways, its mostly the launch and how hard you hook of course. the reason yellow 95 cobra has damaged the rearend is he's running a 12.74. thats a pretty strong car. besides. whats the fun if you do explode something. i wouldnt be afraid of it. just get out there and run.

Well you are comparing different types of racing. Autocross stresses the suspension and really taxes the motor having it in various rpm's for a longer period of time. Drag racing also puts stress on the suspension but in another way, it can also be hard on the rear end and the motor as well. But the runs are shorter so it's not quite as hard on the motor. Trust me I have beat the hell out of mine and it took every bit of it, you will be just fine taking it down the 1/4 a few times.