How hard is it to install a intake manifold?

Twista

May 7, 2004
@ the z00 in chicago
Check engine light on now- How hard is it to install a intake manifold?

Just wondering what tools are needed and how long would it take? I would take it to the shop, but that would involve a tow truck b/c the thermostat housing is now cracked and i will be driving it with no coolant/water in the engine :mad: I read we had to disconnect fuel lines and everything. Anyways the car runs fine even though water got eveywhere this time (in the alternator also) and the cuishon part on the hood is kind of wet with water. I ordered a manifold from ebay lastnight (new crossover non PI) and waiting for it to come. It has the instructions, gasket, alternator brackets,manifold, etc for $220.

-Oh ya i heard you want to stuff towels in the ports that are on the lower part of the engine thingie.. so it doesnt get wet in there really.

Anyways please reply. Thanks!

-edit: Wow i have 5 post here and joined 2004? hmm, i thought i was new here lol. strange

• Sponsors (?)

took me about 4 1/2 hours on the side of the road in the rain with limited tools. it was 4 days after i got my mustang, and I had no knowledge of the car, nor did I have any kinda of shop manual with me. the second time I did it on a 2000gt I had plenty of tools, a sunny day, and a few extra hands. that time it only took about 2 hours

crazynorwegian said:
took me about 4 1/2 hours on the side of the road in the rain with limited tools. it was 4 days after i got my mustang, and I had no knowledge of the car, nor did I have any kinda of shop manual with me. the second time I did it on a 2000gt I had plenty of tools, a sunny day, and a few extra hands. that time it only took about 2 hours

I have no knowledge of the car but my father is helping and i may get the this other boy to help. Can you tell me the tools you used on the 2nd time you installed a manifold? (for the 2000gt)

Hehe, you happen to have your new manifold in your car with you? :Word: :nice: :hail2:

it doesn't really require many special tools, just a ratchet set, some open end wrenches, a pair of screw drivers, and a ft-lb torque wrench. i think the main reason to stuff rags in the intake ports it to keep stuff from falling in there. I didn't do it the first time, and I somehow ended up dropping a bolt into the intake port. took me about 30 min to get the dang thing out. I had to use a screw driver with a bunch of duck tape stuck to the end.

GDawg said:
The first time I did it, it took me about 5 hours but that was taking my time and drinking lots of beer. The last time I did it, it took me two hours. I took some photos so here they are. They may help you a little bit. Just don't lose the small square rubber seals for your injectors.

My photos --> http://community.webshots.com/album/72370370hPeenK

tHANKS FOR THe replies guys!
Theses pictures ar egoing to be a good help, gdawg!

Gdawg, do you have any pictures of installing the new manifold? :SNSign: Seriouslly, i was going to take thousands of pictures, but your pictures are so much better quality. I see you already have the new intake installed =) is that pi or nonpi?

Can i find the fuel disconnectors @ pepboys or autozone?

Nov 11, 2005 8:02 AM

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

CHICAGO , IL

:/ not going to touch it though since i dont have the proper help hehe. I never touched the inside of a car becept taking off the wateroutlet and putting a new stat and re-RTV-ing and thats all =( I shall find someone to help me lol! I WILL!

:SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign: :nice:

Get your new intake and set it on a table next to the car. When you remove something from the car, place it in the same location on the new intake, especially bolts and fittings and stuff like that. When you have the old intake off, transfer the parts back to the old one, keeping the same locations, and install the new intake. Takes about 3 hours, but not a hard job at all. I have done 2 of them.

i guess its not meant for me to install lol. Its 3:22pm and fedex hasnt delievered to my house yet. I usally get my packages @ 10-11, but thoses are small (computer parts) and they come from a fed ex location closer to me. The one this intake is coming from is a differnt location in chicago, but hasnt showed up yet. The lasest they deliever is 7 i think, but damn it goign to be dark @ 4:30

edit: it made it here, but its going to be lonely outside of the car for awhile lol =(

Nov 11, 2005 3:31 PM

Delivered

pict0089mani1fv.jpg

i give up. the person i need to help me is not around. Fedex deleiver the thing @ 3:40pm and it gets dark at arouund 4:40 ish! so.. Its about to get dark... i have no idea how to remove a sparkplug.. im carless. Ok im sticking to building computers before i mess up this car.

Tomarrow is forecasted rain
day after is thunder storms

Attachments

• pict0089mani1fv.jpg
    pict0089mani1fv.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 81
You really don't have to be too mechanically inclined but it helps. If you can follow instructions it can be done but you also have to have the right tools. I did mine by myself but if you are in doubt I'd make sure I had some help.

coramprat said:
You really don't have to be too mechanically inclined but it helps. If you can follow instructions it can be done but you also have to have the right tools. I did mine by myself but if you are in doubt I'd make sure I had some help.
Which tools? Im going to get the haynes manual tomarrow.

coramprat said:
Just a good socket set and you will need some fuel line removal tools. I've forgotten what size but Autozone has a set for not too much. It has all you need.

rgr. Im going to pick up the haynes manual 2morrow and a set of fuel line removal @ pepboys. So, does this manual show you how to remove the intake manifold and how to put one back on? What does it haynes manual show that goes with the intake? Does it show step by step what to remove? Like the sparkplugs and stuff. I do have a socket set =) and thats really it :/ however i dont have a torch wrench and who sells thoses? hardware stores or would pepboys or autozone have thoses also? and how much do they run for?