How hard is it to install a intake manifold?

• Sponsors (?)

GDawg said:
Too bad we aren't closer cause we would come over and get ur done quick for you... for a beer or two... :D
:SNSign: Thxs though, that would rock is people could travel state to state in a seconed :Damnit: .

I know its not hard but is just confusing compared to anything i ever done. I mean taking off the alternator/belt, throttle car than looking @ 8 holes in the engine thingie lol. Than trying to get everything back together. Its funny b/c the manifold in the box doesnt have many ports and such where abunch of wires would go.

coramprat said:

Well when the manifold arrived from FEDEX the box it was packed in is not really big. Apon opening the box i saw the new manifold and i said this is going to be easy. Easy b/c it doesnt have many holes in it for electrical things to plug into. However, the cold weather, windy days, snowy and rain has slowed this down tremendously. The stuck screws that scripped all our 10mm sockets leaving us with nothing to take off the bolts slowed things. Having no garage to work on the car with while its cold. Having the car undriveable in 1 spot where a mechnic said he wants $250 to install it and plus $70 to tow it :/ Well tomorrow is going to ba cold, but sunny day and we'll see what gets done. :shrug: Once i get that black bar off i can take off the other parts easy.

i got that *******u***** bar thing off and i cant feel my fingers @ all =*( Spent almost 2 hours out there in the freezing cold (23F) I got the hanyes manual and i got a heavy duty socket this time... the ones that come in the socket kit for $4.99 break so easly so thats why i scripped so many. This new heavy one took the bolts off clean! =)

my legs and arms are b/c well im wearing 3 sets of blue jeans. 2 haevy winter shirts, 1 sweater and 1 hoodie.. and 3 pair of socks on each foot =( but no gloves for my hand! God, its cold here in chicago! Ill take the haynes manual to school tomorrow and read it for all the hours i have free waiting for the bus =*(

man, i really need to find some mustang friends. Some friends who you see in the car videos working on cars and adding s/c's. You guys say this job is easy, but if i had a buddy who knew cars i would of been driving her acouple days ago.

Twista said:
man, i really need to find some mustang friends. Some friends who you see in the car videos working on cars and adding s/c's. You guys say this job is easy, but if i had a buddy who knew cars i would of been driving her acouple days ago.
I got my manifold in at 3pm and had it running the next day by 11a. BUT...I have worked on cars before so I hae some experience. I know going at it from your point is probably frustrating. Once it is done though you will have that feeling of accomplishment and all ot the trials won't seem so bad. Sucks that the weather won't cooperate. I got out today and bolted my tranny up but it's actully quite cold for here tonight. 30 degrees will be the low. Burr...

I removed mine three times before I fixed the problem... I did it when I was living in Vegas and I was doing it in a 140* garage. Heat hurts too. But when I was done I was very self satisfied. Now I'm in Colorado and the cold is the ****s. It's getting down to 5* at night and the highs are 35*. My pony is in the stable for the next few months and now it's time to put in my SC this winter and my ground effects. I love working on my car. I'll be buying a garage heater for the work... Today I had to drive my Bronco to the "park and ride" cause I commute to downtown Denver for my job. 14 hour work days are rough but once the weekend comes I'm all over my pony.

Feel good about your car and the work you put into it. Buy quality tools... they last. Cheap ones break when you really need them. Buy a socket at a time if needed. I buy a quality one for ~$8 when you need that size. I bought a large ratchet (1/2") socket driver that is a pivot wrench (with a reduction socket 1/2" to 3/8") and it was one of the best tools I've ever bought... $80 just for it. Very large handle and nothing can break it and if something could, it's a Craftsman with a lifetime warrenty.

Love the wrench turning... it's a bond between you and your car. :nice:

Well my dad just put a halt on everything. We didnt get much off, so hes going to put everything back on and give it back to ford dealer and let them add the new manifold. Sucks b/c now it has to be towed, so now i can be offically added to the "****ed plastic intake" left me on a tow truck group. :( :( Knowing car dealers they wont install right away? Hopefully i have the car back by the 27 if we get it to them monday b/c im dying here in the cold waiting for a bus.

Twista said:
Well my dad just put a halt on everything. We didnt get much off, so hes going to put everything back on and give it back to ford dealer and let them add the new manifold. Sucks b/c now it has to be towed, so now i can be offically added to the "****ed plastic intake" left me on a tow truck group. :( :( Knowing car dealers they wont install right away? Hopefully i have the car back by the 27 if we get it to them monday b/c im dying here in the cold waiting for a bus.

Just "get ur done" and you'll be a happy dawg again... I just hate to see the bill.

GDawg said:
Just "get ur done" and you'll be a happy dawg again... I just hate to see the bill.

They wanted $500 for the manifold is like 300 or was it 200 to install i heard. We called them and they said $320 to install it crapola :( :bang: Why do they want 320 to install the manifold? Is the labor work that bad or was it because we already have a manifold and they get less money from us? grrr yes ill hate to see the bill also..

Man...wish I could help but being that it's cold it is pretty much a pain to get any work done. Too bad you don't have a garage to put it in.

As far as the install labor...call around and see if you can find it cheaper.

Well we got it fixed and it took the guys 2 hours to do the job. Now the check engine light is on, but he told us to unhook the battery so the cars computer can reset. =/ out of some $$$$ though :/

edit: Oh ya he said my old manifold went to hell.. it was bad =( I wasnt there when they installed but my dad said the manifold looked like crap.