How hard is it to swap to forged short block?

GT12207

Feb 5, 2003
California
Rather than getting a Kenne Bell 1.7/2.1, I think I'm just going to start saving for the 2.2/2.6 competition.

I have money in hand and I'm looking at MMR's Street Mod 600 short block for $2300, which is suppose to support 600rwhp.

My question is; is it possible for me to swap out my stock block and put in the new forged block in my garage? Any special tools required?

or is it too hard and I should pay for a shop to do it? if so, how much would labor typically cost for the swap?

• Sponsors (?)

I think it's something you could do in your garage if you have plenty of time and patience.I am paying to have mine done and they quoted me $1400 not including gaskets,fluid,misc items.If your going to upgrade you may want to look a little closer at their pricing.It doesn't include ARP hardware or a high volume oil pump and it has a cast crank.I was going to get the MMR 900 untill VT ran their special for the sportsman shortblock.Take a look at it at VTENGINES.COM.

saleen556 said:
I think it's something you could do in your garage if you have plenty of time and patience.I am paying to have mine done and they quoted me $1400 not including gaskets,fluid,misc items.If your going to upgrade you may want to look a little closer at their pricing.It doesn't include ARP hardware or a high volume oil pump and it has a cast crank.I was going to get the MMR 900 untill VT ran their special for the sportsman shortblock.Take a look at it at VTENGINES.COM.

Get the MMR mod 900. Mine has been great. Best shortblock for the money.
I installed mine for 600 including everything. I even did the head cooling mod.
Mark gave me a hell of a deal on the 900. I got their high flow pump with cyro gears arp hardware and notched pistons shipped to my house for 3200. 300 was shipping from Cali to WV.

Well, I'm choosing MMR because they're close enough for me to pick up the block and not have to pay for shipping.

How involved is the swap? I have plenty of time and patience if I do this myself. Is there a write-up anywhere?

jivepepper said:
Get the MMR mod 900. Mine has been great. Best shortblock for the money.
I installed mine for 600 including everything. I even did the head cooling mod.
Mark gave me a hell of a deal on the 900. I got their high flow pump with cyro gears arp hardware and notched pistons shipped to my house for 3200. 300 was shipping from Cali to WV.
They would have got my money but that is not the quote they gave me.Sounds like you got a good deal.

mmr 900 shortblock is my next mod saving up now for it
by the time i have the money for my shortblock i will have my fuel system upgraded to cobra fuel tank and twin ford gt pumps that way once the block is in i can turn up the boost on my sq trim i am loving 8-9psi right now and i cannt imagine 18-19psi :D

stanggt00 said:
by the time i have the money for my shortblock i will have my fuel system upgraded to cobra fuel tank and twin ford gt pumps that way once the block is in i can turn up the boost on my sq trim i am loving 8-9psi right now and i cannt imagine 18-19psi :D

Let me know when you get 18psi out of the strim.:D You'll wiil need an 8rib setup and you better get an intercooler or at least alcohol/water injection. If you use a intercooler I doubt you will see 18psi. Maybe with the alky/water injection since there is no restriction as you have with an intercooler.

GT12207 said:
Well, I'm choosing MMR because they're close enough for me to pick up the block and not have to pay for shipping.

How involved is the swap? I have plenty of time and patience if I do this myself. Is there a write-up anywhere?

Modular depot has write ups on timing the engine and all the torgue specs. Just take your time it's pretty staight forward.:nice:

stanggt00 said:
Can you run the SQ-trim at 18psi??? I thought it was limited to about 12psi? Wouldn't you need a T-Trim or something for those numbers?