how hard to remove and install clutch quadrant?

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
i am in need of replacing the clutch quadrant and cable. so this monday i am going to order me an alluminum clutch quadrant. i was thinking about taking the car to have some one install it but i was thinking how hard it would be to install?

• Sponsors (?)

did mine a year ago w/ my bro's help. I personally am cheap and I will not pay anyone to do something that I can do if I try hard enough. It was a b*tch and i'd honestly pull the drivers seat for more comfort up under the dash. I can't remember what was so hard about it, but I know I got angry. If you don't want to, don't think you can or don't have the time, you could pay someone to do it.

It's not THAT difficult, it's just tedious and damn uncomfortable! :bang:
I'm 5'8" and 170 lbs- if you're any bigger I don't envy you. Put your seat all the way back, recline it all the way, and lay on your back with your head under the dash- that's where you'll be off and on for an hour or so. If you're my size you can just barely wedge in right side up between the seat and the door frame to do some of it!
The tedious part of it comes from removing the stock (plastic for God's sake!) adjuster off the bar that supports the pedals. I used a pair of needle-nosed visegrips to grab and remove the clevis pins that retain the adjuster, and the plastic ratchet that is on the end of the support bar has a spring steel keeper that holds it on, that I just destroyed taking it off.
I would recommend the Steeda kit that includes the firewall adjuster, I installed it on mine and it rocks! The kit also includes their teflon-lined clutch cable, you wouldn't believe how gummed-up mine was when I pulled it off!
One thing to remember, after you get the stock quadrant off, the new billet quadrant is slightly wider and wont go on the bar because the firewall bracing is too close to it- no big deal, just get a pry bar and bend the bracing a little for clearance. Hey, I just finished a springs install on mine today, the quadrant was just nuisance value compared to that! :)

the hardest part is removing the stock quadrant, once that is off the new quadrant slides right one. I put the cable through the firewall, then felt above the gas pedal. There are two rods, slide the quadrants two holes where the two rods are, then slide the cable on the quadrant then connect it at the clutch fork, not hard. BTW take the seat out so you can work and i have the steeda setup, so far so good.

i'm 5'11" 200lbs, and well I removed the seat after trying to do it with it in. losts easier with the seat out. also, just getting the stock quadrant off is the hard part. after that it's a breeze

i guess im smaller than some of you. i am 5'7 165llbs. i fit okay under the dash between the dash and seat but i will diffently take out the seat. oh yea how do i take out the seat?

just unbolt it...2 in the front, 2 in the back..and dont forget to unplug the lumbar plug....lifts right out.

And yes the quadrant is relatively easy, just can be a PITA trying to look at everything upside down. Im big and did it without removing the seat. u can do it, but the doorsill digging into your back hurts. good luck

arg damn fedex guy knocked once then left. i was in the bathroom and ran out to the door and by then he was in his truck backing out and then took off and i waved him down. that asswhole. owell i now have to wait tomorrow.

Quadrant

i just got the stack racing double hook quadrant for my 03 gt and was wondering if i keep the stock spring on when i install it or if i just keep it off. Im pretty sure it comes off but i just want to make sure. thxs

i just got the stack racing double hook quadrant for my 03 gt and was wondering if i keep the stock spring on when i install it or if i just keep it off. Im pretty sure it comes off but i just want to make sure. thxs

First off you bumped a thread that is over 7 years old, second, you asked a question about an 03 GT in the 79-95 year section. That being said, I haven't done it on anything other then Foxes, but I take all the springs off when I replace a quadrant. Try searching over in the 4.6L section to be sure, I'm willing to bet someone over there has done it before.