How high can i raise the rev limiter on my auto.

aj1025

Jul 4, 2003
Tyler Texas
I would like to raise the rev limiter on my 02 auto gt, right now the rev limiter kicks in @ around 5750 rpms, i'm wondering can i see a benefit of raising the rev limiter on an auto gt, and how high can i raise the rev limiter without damaging the engine or tranny? Could i raise the rev limiter to around 6250 or 6500 rpms, and will i see any benefit of raising the limiter, like lower quarter mile times, or does an 4.6 sohc make no more power past 5750 rpms. I still have the stock 3.27's also. Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

actually the optimum shift point for me is 5600 RPM. Unless the car is modified, they die out after the high fives anyway. To raise the limiter get a chip or a power programmer from hypertech. You need to make the car breath better, and get a little more fuel in, to get it to perform better after 5800RPM's. I learned from experience. Before my car got its mods, it also felt obtuse around 5600 RPM!

Looks like my best bet is to buy a programmer, but man those things are expensive and on the mustangs from what i read they don't nearly make that much HP as they do on other cars, but well needed for other changes,looks like i'll be saving up some money.

you do not want to rev your car to 6500rpm. the springs in the heads don't like that. the max you should rev a stock 4.6L is 6050rpm which is what the fuel cut-off should be at on your car.