How is Carpet Molded?

• Sponsors (?)

Carpet like the floor pan material for our cars is most likely formed in a steel mold, using either heat and/or vacuum to shape the contours.

If I remember correctly, ACC was featured on one of the weekend morning car TV shows, and they showed entire floor pan molds they fabricated their carpet kits with.

Hope this helps,

Alan

90mustangGT said:
I was hoping there was a way to do it myself, I want to do a rear seat delete, but want it to look right.

You might try a heat gun and a good adhesive and slowly work it into place.

Work from center out to the edges..

Haven't tried it yet, but I been thinking about it... along with some slight fiberglass work to shape it a little better.

Well, I guess I gave you the completely wrong answer. :shrug:

Working with carpet for a rear seat delete is pretty straightforward. You will first need to cut some wood to create a frame for the carpet. Using fiberglass is also a good idea if you want more complicated shapes or contours. A blend of both would work well.

Advice above for wrapping the carpet is good. Work from the center, and pull tight to get the fabric smooth. A good adhesive is needed, and stapling the underside will keep the carpet from peeling back over time.

Alan

drgn5.0 said:
Is the ACC carpet good? I heard it wasn't cause you have to cut holes for EVERYTHING in the car.

The ACC carpet is pretty decent. I did mine this past summer and it took a few hours. Some of the holes were already punched out and some weren't. Use a new blade in your razor knife and change it often. Don't expect the carpet to lay down perfectly at first. It will work itself into all of the contours of the floor in time.

I put an ACC carpet kit in my '65 Galaxie convert. and I was very happy with the quality. Everything lined up nicely and every contour was where is was suppose to be. I can't say about the Mustang kit but I think there quality is worth it.