How loud will this be?

Tyson98GT said:
Ok I think it is between MAC Long Tubes and BBK, but I like MAC from what people say about the power gains, but I don't want them to rust. Will wrapping them and not driving car in the winter be enough?
Here is an idea. Get some hi-temperature engine paint from the Local auto parts store and put a few coats on the headers before installing them. This will help to "seal" the hts coating in and will give extra protection. Then, the exhuast wrap should help not only to keep the heat down(which leads to breakdown of the coating) but should keep water off them as well. My Mac headers are 3 years old now and still going fine. I do have some rust on them but that is to be expected as I haven't had a chance to take them off yet and re-coat them. I can remove the rust easily with some naval jelly then coat them. I'll probably do that when I decide to swap K-members.

Note: The high temperature engine paint will only cost about 4 or 5 bucks a can. Its in spray form, so don't worry about a paint brush. :jester:

Also, once you apply the paint, let it set for about 24 hrs. before installing. This allow for the paint to "cure" and seal itself. Honestly, I'de apply about 3 or 4 coats and allow about 20-30 minutes to pass in between each coat you apply. I've used this on my other Mac products and it helps a lot.

• Sponsors (?)

Tyson98GT said:
Hey Dark Knight GT do you drive your GT in the winter?
Some. When it snows, no I don't. Least I haven't for quite sometime because I had Bridgestone Potenza S-03's on my car for a couple of years and they didn't grip for crap in snow at all. I ended up getting stuck once and had to be towed home. I might drive my car some this winter though as I have BFGoodrich KDWS on my car and they grip good in snow. Least for my brothers GT they do. Snow itself shouldn't be much of a problem. Its the salt the DOT puts down on the road thats gonna be a pain. I actually try to avoid driving in the winter as much as possible, not so much due to the snow, but more or less the salt thats on the roads cause it does nothing but eat up the underbody of the car as well as the paint.

Ok good the decision is made MAC Long Tubes it is. Also right now my exhaust is setup with an Off Road H-Pipe, not cats at all and Flowmaster 40 series. I am getting rid of the 40 series and getting SLP Shotgun Resonators, Packs, or Borla what would one suggest with MAC Long Tubes and a Off Road H.

Tyson98GT said:
Ok good the decision is made MAC Long Tubes it is. Also right now my exhaust is setup with an Off Road H-Pipe, not cats at all and Flowmaster 40 series. I am getting rid of the 40 series and getting SLP Shotgun Resonators, Packs, or Borla what would one suggest with MAC Long Tubes and a Off Road H.
If I had it to do all over again, I'de probably go with the Magnaflow catback. Wide open technology, street legal, stainless stell, which means its resistant to rust all on its own, and great sound. Not to mention because its a muffler you can pass state inspection with it. I don't know if you can do that last thing or not with the SLP catback. Sure, its considered 50 state legal, but that doesn't mean some anal retentive inspector won't fail you on inspection for not having a visible muffler.

Well I live in South Dakota and we don't have emission checks, so if you had no emission checks what would you do, but you like Magnapacks because I heard they are awesome also, but I duno there is something about SLP I like. It might be the power gains I have heard of, but who knows.

Either way, you won't be disappointed. Personally, I'de go based on sound, price, and proven performance gains. Magnaflow has been around a bit longer than SLP in terms of Mustang Exhuast performance and sound, so they've got more proven results more than likely. Thats not to say though that SLP can't compete either. Just less people have tried SLP parts on Mustangs due to them being in the Mustang Market for less time. The choice is really yours. Do a search on here and see what the other guys are using. Most of the top racers are using dumps for their catback, so thats another route you can go if you don't have emssisions checks where you live. I know here in Va. you can't run dumps and pass inspection so thats why I'm not running them.

Tyson98GT said:
How much more horse am I looking at with adding Mac Long Tubes and Magnapacks? In your own opinion what do you think?
Well, its going to very. I can't say for certain but a ball park figure is probably 20rwhp. Give or take a few ponies. The Mac long tubes tend to add about 12-16rwhp to most cars. The Magnapack cat-back is probably worth about another 6-8rwhp. So, about 20rwhp is what I would expect to gain between both. You might loose some low end torque but you'll gain even more back up top.

You need to find a link to Mustang Sound clips of peoples exhuast. I believe Spreadman used to have a link to it. Anyone else know the link ?

NOTE: With Long tubes and an o/r H, its going to be quite loud in the deep sense, no matter what cat-back you chose. I'de probably still go with the Magnaflow setup if it were me, but thats just me. Either way you go, its going to be LOUD and DEEP.

Dark Knight would you recommend getting rid of the crapmasters? I like the sound but I felt no power improvements and I know they say it is all in the mid-pipe, but you should still see a little bit of gains?

Tyson98GT said:
Dark Knight would you recommend getting rid of the crapmasters? I like the sound but I felt no power improvements and I know they say it is all in the mid-pipe, but you should still see a little bit of gains?
Well, when I put my Mac cat-back on my car, I felt a seat of the pants improvement. It was actually my first mod to my car so everything else was still stock. Now, I will admit, flowmasters are mainly for sound than power. I think most of everyone will agree with that. My brother has them on his GT and he seems to like his. If you want really good flow for maximum power gains, I'de suggest going with something else. If you like the sound they give and you don't care about squeezing every last hp out of the car, then stick with what you got. The flowmasters should do good for now until you can afford a new catback. That is assuming you ever want one. Something else you want to remember is the more flowing the exhuast is, the less backpressure you will have. Less backpressure = less low end torque in many cases. Though you do gain more on top end for a free flowing exhuast.

My advice is this. Put the Long tube headers and o/r H-pipe on there and see how you like it with the flowmasters. If you feel its making good power, if it sounds great, and you like it, then keep them. If you feel like you want something else afterwards, then look into something else. Something else to consider is this. If you like your flows but want more power, you might want to look into taking the money you'de spend on a catback and look into an x-pipe to go with those long tubes instead of the h-pipe. The x-pipe will give more power on top end and will give a more rasp sound to the exhuast. It will sound wicked through those Flowmasters. Perhaps too loud lol. I guess its all up to you though.