How many cats came on the 89 5.0?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks i called a local ford dealer (an SVT dealer) and he told me two. I thought it had 4 but was unsure. Then again the guy i spoke with seemed too busy to answer any questions, azz. So if i buy an H or X pipe that would give me too were could i get too more?

kevsstang said:
Thanks i called a local ford dealer (an SVT dealer) and he told me two. I thought it had 4 but was unsure. Then again the guy i spoke with seemed too busy to answer any questions, azz. So if i buy an H or X pipe that would give me too were could i get too more?
You shouldn't need to buy two more if you buy an H or X pipe with cat's.
They should be fine with that. As long as you have working converters on the car you should be good to go.

no idea on the specific pa laws.

89sleeper pretty much said exactly what i did though, so im guessing you will be fine with just the two. just check out the descriptions, i think some say 50-state emissions legal.

Don't know what you want to spend, but Bassani makes a stainless substrate hi-flow catted x-pipe one of the Stang mags did a comparison on- difference between no cats and these was single-digit on horsepower loss. Probably $100-150 more than a cheap h-pipe with cats.

does anyone know the number of cats for sure? i had thought that there were two preheater deals and two cats. im not sure who said it or where (if it can be trustworthy info).

It's a bit more complex than just the number of cats. Back in the day they had 1-way and 2-way cats. There are 3 emissions components that are controlled - unburned hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx). A 2-way cat catalyzes chemical reactions in the exhaust stream that clean up 2 of the 3 controlled emissions, a 1-way cat catalyzes reactions that clean up the other one. The older cars had 4 cats - on each side there was one 1-way cat and 1 2-way cat in order to clean up all 3 emissions. In later years they developed 3-way cats - a single cat that cleaned up all 3 emissions - V-8 cars with duals equipped with 3-way cats had just one cat per side. So, if you just have to pass the sniffer - a single 3-way cat on each side should do the job. If PA is gonna insist that you have the same number of cats on the car that it came with from the factory, then you need to be certain you have the right type of cats on the car. So you see - you can't just throw any 4 cats on the car - the right type have to be on there to control the emissions.

Thanks mike i should have just asked you from the start. I contacted the garage that i have had the car inspected the past 3 yrs and he said it is just a visual inspection of cars in the county i live in.The car is an 89 will A X or H pipe be sufficient for one of the two and do you know where to get the different kind. Or since it is just visual can i just put any on and just gut them?

kevsstang said:
Thanks mike i should have just asked you from the start. I contacted the garage that i have had the car inspected the past 3 yrs and he said it is just a visual inspection of cars in the county i live in.The car is an 89 will A X or H pipe be sufficient for one of the two and do you know where to get the different kind. Or since it is just visual can i just put any on and just gut them?

1) Call the local DOT or "sniff/visual test administrator" (sound's like something out of a Budweiser commercial :rolleyes: ) Explain your situation and find out from them directly. Getting advice from this forum (smog laws are different everywhere) is not the best way to find out. You don't have to give personal info when you call.

2) Some state(s) have regulations stating that cats must have a certain number of miles on them before they can be replaced with a new kind. Again, just ask.

Michael, you never cease to amaze me. You must be a writer for howstuffworks.com. :hail2:

jwzg is right - ask the inspectors if a single 3-way can replace the stock 2-cat set up. And then, if you've got to buy them anyway, get a high flow 3-way. They're not that much more expensive than a regular cat, and you won't have to 'gut' them because they flow quite well. If you've got to put them on, might as well have them work if it doesn't cost you any performance.