How many degrees of bend can I have in my exhaust setup?

ryan7662

Sep 15, 2007
Hello again, I'm going to make my own custom side exhaust for my 95 gt. I'm going to cut and fit various mandrel bends and clamp it all in place where it needs to be. Afterwards I'll take it and have someone weld all the seams up for me so I don't have a bunch of leaks. I have a set of old 2 chamber mac mufflers and 4 brand new magnaflow cats that are 4" thick. My car is lowered about 1-1/4" and even with the 351w in it appears I have plenty room to fit the cats and muffler under the middle of the car where the stock h-pipe was. I'll use a system of u-bolt clamps and exhaust hangers to pull everything up against the car as close as possible without touching the car.

Now to do all that I calculate I'll need a total of 390 degrees worth of mandrel bends to make this happen. I'll need to 90 off the header and then turn 120deg. to the 4 cats. Then there'll be a 45deg turn into a x pipe with another 45deg out of it. Then there'll be a final 90deg turn after the muffler straight to some pypes evt19 tips.

Does 390 degrees worth of mandrel bending sound too restrictive? Thanks for any help I know this might sound a little crazy:crazy: but from what I can see I can make it work.

• Sponsors (?)

Actually after some more pondering I think the best thing to do is have two different exhaust setups. I'll piece back together my old rusty mac catback setup and run the pair of cats to it. I'll just roughly setup em up with no crossover and flange them where they connect to the 90 coming off the header. I'll have it setup like that when I need to pass emissions and switch it out afterwards(sorry mother nature:(). It would simplify things tremendously if I don't have to have cats in my side exhaust setup. Before I was thinking to be able to fit them I'd have to do some crazy ***** like run the exhaust forward at first and run it under the engine a little bit. Without the cats I can easily fit in the x pipe and I can fit the mufflers up where the stock cats would go. Everythings gravy now:nice: