How Many Of You Start In Second Gear?

Discussion in '2010 - 2014 Specific Tech' started by turnerdude69, Jul 9, 2013.

1. turnerdude69

turnerdude69 New Member

I have a 2013 GT with the track pack and the 3.73 gears so if you have a regular GT with the normal gear ratio or an automatic transmission then this conversation is not for you...

In traffic and when I want to just go normal speed I find much easier to start in 2nd and go to 4th, then 5th or 6th from there depending on how fast everybody is taking off...

What I would like to know is starting in second going to wear my clutch out faster? Does it make a difference? I only use first now when I plan on going fast....
  2. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I would expect that you're having to feather the clutch to do a second gear start, which is going to put more wear on the clutch... how much I have no idea.

Does your car have the clutch assist spring like the bosses and GT500s do? I took mine out, and it made the clutch much smoother, although pedal pressure is slightly higher.
  3. TT5.0ca

TT5.0ca Member

I can start in 1,2 or 3 with only the slightest uptick in clutch slip in 3rd only. a 2 start is indistinguishable from a 1 start. I regularly skip gears upshifting as they aren't all needed, going 1-3-5 or 2-4-6. I'm 3.73 BBP car. There should be no discernible negative effects from a non-meat-fish-or-foot person.
  4. mbuckcoyote

mbuckcoyote Member

My '11 with 3.73's I would regularly using 2nd to start out on the street. !st always seemed too short and unnecessary under normal driving conditions. I don't believe doing this puts anymore wear and tear on the clutch as it feels more like my 3650 1st did. I now have a '13 with 3.31's and can use 1st gear and it feels pretty normal. Since I 've had both, I believe the 3.31.s are definitely a better match for normal driving. I believe somewhere there is info on the overall ratio being more like 3.73's if you have 3.31's in combination with the MT 82.
  5. turnerdude69

turnerdude69 New Member

Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to make sure I was not wearing out the clutch way faster. My first Mustang so I have no point of reference.