How many people have broken their stock rears on DR's?

nickthegenius

Dec 23, 2002
Elwood, IN
After looking through some posts at the Corral, now I'm second-guessing getting DR's for this season. I was thinking about some BFG's or some Mickey Thompsons (if they are on the market in time) for the track.

How many of you guys (especially N/A guys) have broken your rears using DR's?

• Sponsors (?)

Just Some Guy broke his rear axle with nitto DR launching above 4k and dumping the clutch. Do not try this at home.. hehe

Slipping the clutch is recommended for best launches without jolting your drivetrain or fawking your rear end.

I ran them for 3 races last season. I ran MT ET Streets 26x10.50's. I launched around 4,500 and kinda rode the clutch out a little bit. My rear isn't really built up too much. FRPP 3.73's, Mac Girdle, Auburn HD Posi. Problem is im still running 28 splines. I would atleast get the girdle if your gonna run DR's. It will keep everything pretty much in places when your launching and such. They are around $100 too.

Does the steeda sway bar have to same clearance of the bellhousing and is it kinda the same shape as the facotry one? I'm not running a swap bar now because mine crack, not from the DR's though but from Ford's excellent mild steel :notnice: .

Every once in a while, as you can see, people break on DRs. Typically, the DRs you hear breaking parts are like 15" BFGs, which hook almost as well as ET Streets in the right conditions. The 17" Nittos are relatively safe, but of course you're going to shorten the life of the rear by the tires hooking. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're just getting 17". I have 17" Nittos and I can't launch for crap, but the 2nd gear and 3rd gear hits have taken their toll on my trac-loc. Hooking with 460 ft/lbs. doesn't help either. :D

I bent my axle last time out on 15 bfg's. I also had to repack the clutches in the diff, and blew out my stock clutch last year. I have been using d/r's for about 2 years now. The stock parts seem to hold up ok, but constant abuse like I gave them will cause them to fail eventually. As you can see I cut very good 60' times on them, and when the track hooks the d/r act practically like slicks. Using any race type tire at the track with your stock rearend is a game of chance. You will probably be fine with drag radials, but I can't say that with 100% certainty. Just make sure that if you go for 15" that you have the $$$ to fork out if you do break something. The chances it happens are not that high, but it is there. I have heard a few rare cases of people breaking stuff of 17" d/r's, but that is the exception to the rule. 17" d/r's will not hook as well as 15" so you have to decide which is more important to you, peace of mind or fast times.

So what is the weakest point? The axles or the diff? Or both? I know Moser 31-splines are supposed to be good, but if the diff is weak what should it get replaced with?

Also, what kind of $$$ am I looking at for all this? With my upcoming cam install and a nitrous kit coming at the end of the week, I really need to beef up the rear if I'm going to run DRs.

Thanks,

Nick

KaPPaBaLL said:
Just Some Guy broke his rear axle with nitto DR launching above 4k and dumping the clutch. Do not try this at home.. hehe

Slipping the clutch is recommended for best launches without jolting your drivetrain or fawking your rear end.

yup, around a 5k launch, ...snap crackle and boom...bye bye axle...

slipping will save things but the only way to do better tha a 1.8 60' is to let it go... :spot:
if you run drag radials be aware,...this may be the way you are getting your car home from the track. :D
pic69.jpg

secondly the two slips on the left wherre my fav kind of launch...5K and let it go... and the 3rd was a slip...slipping sucks...and it doesnt hit you at all...boring... :notnice:
pic67.jpg

FL Zinc said:
Every once in a while, as you can see, people break on DRs. Typically, the DRs you hear breaking parts are like 15" BFGs, which hook almost as well as ET Streets in the right conditions. The 17" Nittos are relatively safe, but of course you're going to shorten the life of the rear by the tires hooking. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're just getting 17". I have 17" Nittos and I can't launch for crap, but the 2nd gear and 3rd gear hits have taken their toll on my trac-loc. Hooking with 460 ft/lbs. doesn't help either. :D
psst...that cuz of the driver..not the tires

he was on 26/11.5 e/t streets with 15 inch pro-stars
it was funny, he and i always go to the track together and the two times when we didnt go, i broke mine, then he broke his...only his car is still M.I.A.

if ford will ever give me back on of my rims, i will see if i can beat my old time of 13.2 on my stock tires...with the longtubes and tune that are coming...of course