how many quarts in a a4ld?

i dont know anything about auto trannys. i picked up some Aamco Dextron III Mercon fliud (is this ok). the Dextron III Mercon through me of a little since the dipstick says to only use Mercon fliud. How many quarts does it take? i put about 3/4 of a quart in the torqe converter when i mated the engine and tranny. how much should i add? is this the right fluid?

• Sponsors (?)

If the entire system is empty, it could be close to 10 quarts, but it may also be less if you still have any in the lines or transmission. When you drop the pan, you actually only get out 3-4 quarts.
Just put everything together and start the thing up. Leave it in park, and keep adding oil until it shows enough. Drive it around the block and top it off again.

hahaha....i was putting the tranny fluid in a little bit ago. i get to about 6 quarts and just keep dumpin fliud in. i had the radio on in the garage but not too loud. not paying any attention, i keep pouring, then all of a sudden i remember you got to start the engine after about 4 quarts to let the fluid run through. i stop pouring and unplug the radio, and sure enough, i hear something leaking. look under the car and i have about 2-3 quarts of fliud running out the garage into the driveway. it leaked out of the little valve on top of the tranny. what a mess. :bang: