How much could I get for my 2002 v6

glitch1985

May 15, 2005
Northern VA
I'm thinking about selling my v6 to upgrade to a gt. Was interested in how much I could sell this car for. It's a tropic green 5-speed with 658XX miles. I have a few bolt-ons but I'd be returning it to stock if/when I sell it. There is two paint chips on the hood that were there when I got it, the only damage is a cracked front bumper that I've been neglecting to replace (hit a mailbox pole in snow at 5mph). A few of my friends have mentioned that carmax would probally give me the most for it, is that true?

• Sponsors (?)

glitch1985 said:
A few of my friends have mentioned that carmax would probally give me the most for it, is that true?

Hmm...would a business that buys cars to turn around and sell for a profit sound like the most likely to give you the most $$$ for your car?:shrug: Not be a dick, but I would stop taking advice from these friends.

Sell privately. Only someone that's buying it for themselves will give you the most, and appreciate all the care that you have put into the car.

That said, I'd estimate $7,000-$8,000 for the car from the description. But we can drive Mustangs all year long down, here....so they might be a little harder to unload where you are.:shrug:

Bottom line is, trading is less hassle but the catch is, you get screwed. Private party is more of a hassle, but you keep 100% of the profits. I'm never selling my car, but if I did, I'd do it privately. What you may want to consider is spending a few bucks to get that crack and chipped paint fixed before you sell, that way you can bargain harder if there aren't obvious flaws with the car.

if all they have to do is get out a few rock chips, they may only charge you a few hundred. I just had the entire hood and front bumper stripped and repainted, plus some dents & chips removed all around the car, for $2100. So a few chips on the hood should not be a big deal.