How much difference do gears REALLY make?

The Dan

Jul 16, 2003
Orange County, CA
Ok, after really getting a chance to get the car out and drive this weekend I did realize.....I LOVE THIS CAR!!! The new engine mods make this 289 a beast. But...it doesn't have the kick in the pants I was hoping for. So, when I do the rear and put in the 3.25 gear set, am I going to get that snappy take off I'm looking for? Right now it is an open 2.89 8". After lots of reading I've deceided I'm going with a 9" trac loc. Until I spend the money, I'd just like to hear from those of you that have made gear changes, and if the mod gave your car that "snappy" take off and acceleration.

• Sponsors (?)

The right gears will give you the kick in the pants you are looking for. This is one of the single best mods you can make to any car. How much highway driving do you plan to do? If you aren't going on the highway much you can go with more gear then 3.25, and still be a great cruiser. I went with 3.55, because about half of my cars time is on the highway.

I haven't done the 9" yet, but that's what I'm leaning towards. I've read so much about the 8" breaking that I don't want to chance it. I'm making pretty good power with the mods below.

To mod my 8" to the way I want it is $1,200 including labor, a little more will get me a 9" set up and no worries of breakage to boot.

Brian68GT said:
Is this gear ratio mod done from the gear box or from the rear? If thats a really dumb question, i appologise, but i know nothing about this.
It's the gears in the rear end. The ratio being referred to (3.55:1 or whatever) is the ratio of how many times the driveshaft turns for each revolution of the rear axle. Ford 8" & 9" rear ends have a removable 3rd member (aka pumpkin, center section, etc.) basically containing a pinion gear connected to the driveshaft and a ring gear connected to the rear axle. These are the gears that determine the ratio discussed here.

The Dan said:
Ok, after really getting a chance to get the car out and drive this weekend I did realize.....I LOVE THIS CAR!!! The new engine mods make this 289 a beast. But...it doesn't have the kick in the pants I was hoping for. So, when I do the rear and put in the 3.25 gear set, am I going to get that snappy take off I'm looking for? Right now it is an open 2.89 8". After lots of reading I've deceided I'm going with a 9" trac loc. Until I spend the money, I'd just like to hear from those of you that have made gear changes, and if the mod gave your car that "snappy" take off and acceleration.

Deeper gears are very noticeable. I went from a T10, 2.80 combo to a T5 (3.35 1st) and a 3.40 Trac lock rear. Huge difference, it launches like a monster when I want it to. Once piece of advice, go Trac. Lock or you'll smoke the right rear tire unless you are very gentle. But deeper gears = bigger launch. And if you have a T5, the highway RPM is good since it it an OD trans. Either way, a 3.40 or 3.55 is great for the street. You probably don't need to go with a 9" unless the engine is supercharged or turbo'd. But do go with a webbed 8" from a '67 or later car for better strength. The pumpkin is a lot cheaper than a whole new rear and only takes about two hours to put in. You can fine 'em in Hemmings Motor News. The 9" is really heavy in weight. To get more kick, you can also recurve the dizzy to bring the timing in faster. Costs about $25.00 for the kit and provides a noticable difference too.

The Dan said:
I haven't done the 9" yet, but that's what I'm leaning towards. I've read so much about the 8" breaking that I don't want to chance it. I'm making pretty good power with the mods below.

To mod my 8" to the way I want it is $1,200 including labor, a little more will get me a 9" set up and no worries of breakage to boot.

do an late model explorer 8.8" rear end. Tough like a 9", cheaper, you can get em for like $400, has rear disc brakes, AND comes with a 3.70 trac loc :D

65fastback2+2 said:
do an late model explorer 8.8" rear end. Tough like a 9", cheaper, you can get em for like $400, has rear disc brakes, AND comes with a 3.70 trac loc :D

what year explorer is best for this? Anymore additional info on this installation? Is it fairly easy to install? Can it handle a 500hp application?

thanks
-andrew

do you know of a good tech article for the installation/modification procedure? I found a decent 2000 rear-end, what type of work needs to go into this?

(edit) - the rear I found is a factory 3.55 gears and open differential, disk brake calipers, and rotors. Is this what I am looking for??

thanks
-andrew

I have ran 2.79s, 3.25s, and 3.89s (in my car), and by FAR my favorite is the 3.89s. It is mainly a street car but they are so great I can overlook the higher RPM's on the interstate. Real fun, coupled with the Detroit Locker (another thing I am real fond of). But even from the 2.79 to the 3.25 was a big difference. As far as Explorer rears, I have a 97 Explorer with a 4.10 LSD rear (highest gearset offered), and I absolutely HATE that 8.8 in comparsion to my 9". Its a pain in the ass to work on, the E-brake setup is kinda hokey in whether it decides to work well or not, and I've been through a couple posi's already in it.

Can't beat a 9" setup nice with a locker IMO.