How much do gears really help?

Threeo2 said:
yo PJB, are you sure its only getting 200 miles a tank? if true then something is wrong. I used to get a least 300 miles a tank when my car was an aod/3.08 combo, and now that its a t5/3.55 combo I still get about 22-23 miles a gallon on the highway.

I get about 200 miles out of a tank. 3.55's, 5-speed. It's almost all stop-and-go around town driving though. It is possible to get only 200 miles out of a tank with a good running 5.0.

My previous 5.0's have gotten low 20's on solid highway driving, I'm pretty sure my current one would too. It has a lot to do with what kind of driving you do.

Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

PJB said:
Where do you get the speedo gear?

Also, mine gets nowhere near 21 mpg. 100 miles is a 1/2 tank.

I got it www.50resto.com. They shipped it quick. Just make sure you get the correct one for your tranny type. Also, there is no gear for 3.73 so you just get one for a 3.55 ... it's really close (4.8% off) so at 80 your really doing 76. I think it was the 23 tooth gear.

GET the 4.10 ALL THE WAY. I had 3.73 put in and then went to 4.10. TRUST ME YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!! It is one of the best mods for an AOD because they are like BIG FAT PIGS off the line. Get the FMS or Richmond gear, they are good. Another must is a shift kit from Transgo and a torque converter and you will be VERY VERY HAPPY!!!

I would not get 4.10's unless you plan on getting some mods done to the engine...like h/c/i. Then it can breath.

Gas mileage will suffer a bit on the highway. You will cruise at a higher rpm, might make you next time your cruising on the i-state at 75-80mph to keep up with traffic.

Think about when you ride a mountain bike or 10 speed....when you downshift the gears, how much easier is it to pedel? You get the same thing when you put a gear in the rear end...the engine can get the car moving that much faster.

Best comparison i've ever heard of.

Threeo2 said:
yo PJB, are you sure its only getting 200 miles a tank? if true then something is wrong. I used to get a least 300 miles a tank when my car was an aod/3.08 combo, and now that its a t5/3.55 combo I still get about 22-23 miles a gallon on the highway.
So far Ive filled up a few times at a 1/2 tank and it had 115 or so miles on it.
Part of the problem is I cant seem to keep my foot out of it.
Its also got some performance parts on it.
I have a Performer intake, BBK CAI, headers, and a 70 mm throttle body.

geb said:
I got it www.50resto.com. They shipped it quick. Just make sure you get the correct one for your tranny type. Also, there is no gear for 3.73 so you just get one for a 3.55 ... it's really close (4.8% off) so at 80 your really doing 76. I think it was the 23 tooth gear.
Im buying 4.10's and they dont seem to have a correction gear for 4.10's for a '92 with an AOD. Only '84-'89 for some reason.

PJB said:
Im buying 4.10's and they dont seem to have a correction gear for 4.10's for a '92 with an AOD. Only '84-'89 for some reason.

The speedo drive gear on the output shaft (inside the transmission) probably has a different number of teeth for 84-89 than in your tranny. There should be something that will get you close though.

Jeff

I found one in Jeg's and I ordered it along with an install kit (bearings, seals, etc). Im buying gears this week from a local guy and found another guy to install the gears cheaper than the place I called.