How much $$$ for 4.6?

Im looking at buying a 4v 4.6 dohc out of a 94 Mark VIII car has wireing harness and auto 4 speed and rearend. how much is the engine worth? what makes it different from the 96-98 cobra motors besides the intake? does anyone swap these in are they desirable?

• Sponsors (?)

The Cobra motor has more HP, better fuel system, better intake and TB, and the Cobra has a forged steel crank. The Lincoln motors are still tough, but not as tough. The Cobra swap is the ideal swap, but not everybody has the cash for that or find a Cobra they want to rip apart. My modfox has a 2V going into it and most people ask...WHY NOT A 4V??? Well, if I find a wreck Cobra I am fixing it...I'm not gonna cut it up to build a fox body.

Anyways....I work at a JY, and let me tell you.. I am in a good location, been in business since the 1940's...my Dad took over in 1990...anyways......Lincoln Mark motors/trans/rear ends...are dead horses.....Nobody inquires on those items, and the ones we have bought years ago, are still sitting on the shelf....we can't sell them. I wouldn't offer too much for that stuff. I would be lucky to get 450 for the motor, 250 for the trans, and the rear ends...are worthless. I would sell one for what ever somebody would pay as long as it is worth the labor of getting it out. Remember...those are IRS. I would just stick with a fox or a SN95 rear end.

Im looking at buying a 4v 4.6 dohc out of a 94 Mark VIII car has wireing harness and auto 4 speed and rearend. how much is the engine worth? what makes it different from the 96-98 cobra motors besides the intake? does anyone swap these in are they desirable?

I wouldn't buy a used engine, unless they can prove it has been rebuilt. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for that engine. Just my .02

Jerry,

Im debating the 4v route as well in my car. I blew up 3 2v motors in my last 98gt, and went through a bunch of PI heads.

www.car-part.com

Ive bought two 2v motors, and a few sets of PI heads off of there. It is the database for all salvage yards in America. You can usually haggle them and its good to find somebody willing to sell them without a core charge. I was looking today and found a bunch of 96-98 cobra motors. Most places will hook them up and crank them up for you before you buy them, and you can do a compression check as well. I would stay away from any rebuilt engine. A good thing about the salvage yards is that a lot of times you can find the actually car in the lot that the motor was takin out of and get an idea of what your buying by the mods and the damage that occured. Good luck!

im putting that motor in my 96 gt right now. there a lot cheaper to get & i like the intake. but when i ripped mine apart almost nothing in it was any good. if ur looking 2 build it then its a good idea. but i wouldnt run 1 w/ out takeing it apart.

Yes, $1,000 for the whole car is worth it. It's always nice to have the vehicle the engine came out of to look for little odds and ends that you might not have otherwise though of with just buying an engine alone. Although they don't share the same intake and crank shaft, there is only about a 25hp difference (15hp if it's an LSC) between the DOHC in the Mark VIII and the Cobra. Most of which can be found in the exhaust and the tune of the ECU. Regardless of the fact that the Mark uses a nodular iron cranks, they've still been show to take as much as 600hp in most applications, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the difference if I were you.

It's a good swap and certainly worth the effort IMO.

And yes, a lot of Marks I've seen have got high mileage on them, but they just seem to keep going and going and going. We had one that was finally knocking pretty bad that we bought as a parts car, but it had nearly 400,000km on it. Not too shabby.