how much for a decent 65-68 rolling chasis?

mustangfreak_2001

Founding Member
Jul 22, 2002
St Petersburg FL
Just wondering cuase today the thought of selling the 85 GT and buying a vintage Mustang occured and for the first time I felt like I could get the guts to sell my first Mustang for another :nonono:

Ive always loved the first gens, and always will. But I also love the fox body. But since my motor is broken (balancer went out, crank tried to exit the block and broke it in the process) Ive been thinking of new options.

so far it has only been a new motor (302, 331, 393) prepped for a turbo.

Well today I saw a bad ass Fastback driving down the road and I suddenly thought about selling the 85 and getting a fastback.

But I know it would be alot more money to restore it to a certain level and putting in a roller motor then to building a new motor for the 85, which has no rust and needs no restoration.

But how much could I find a decent rolling chasis (fastback) for?

• Sponsors (?)

Just out of curiosity's sake, do you have any idea how much you would ask for the '85 GT with broke engine? To answer your aforementioned question, I found a nice '65 Fastback with original 289 and 4 speed in a NC/SC swap and shop book for $5000. I went and looked at it, offered the PO $4500 for it and he took it. I would say 95% of the sheetmetal on it was in great shape (including the floor pans), which is a hard to find these days. I think I was very lucky getting it for only $4500. Hope this helps. :)

khiggins said:
Just out of curiosity's sake, do you have any idea how much you would ask for the '85 GT with broke engine? To answer your aforementioned question, I found a nice '65 Fastback with original 289 and 4 speed in a NC/SC swap and shop book for $5000. I went and looked at it, offered the PO $4500 for it and he took it. I would say 95% of the sheetmetal on it was in great shape (including the floor pans), which is a hard to find these days. I think I was very lucky getting it for only $4500. Hope this helps. :)

There is no easy way to say this bud...so I'll just say it....85 gt..no motot....no value...I had an 84 gt vert I was lucky to get $700 for it in 1994 with a 140k and a motor that was going........

zookeeper said:
Fastbacks are very spendy and I would expect to find a decent one for $5k on up. There was a stripped big block shell, no interior, no nothing on ebay a while back that went for $13,000.
I agree with the $5K+ figure, in fact I'd say 6 or more for a rust free shell. That $13,000 number is due to the engine code and its value to a collector, was it a 390 or 428? You should be able to find running fastbacks in poor (but rust free) condition for $13-15K.