How much FWHP and RWHP on my soon to be done setup?

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I am going to be doing a major upgrade to my setup over spring break, and I want to know what kind of power I am going to be looking at after a good tune.
Here's what I am gonna have:
Stock 302 block
E303 camshaft
Explorer (GT40) upper and lower intake w/ 1" phenolic spacer
GT40P heads (with 1.54 exhaust valves{larger than stock 1.46})
FRPP P headers
MAC prochamber
2 chamber Flowmasters
MAC U/D pullies
MAC cold air intake
FRPP or MAC 65 or 70 mm TB
255 LPH fuel pump
1.6 Roller Rockers
9mm FRPP wires
MAF conversion
bypassed smog pump w/ shortbelt
Might be a few small things I am forgetting, I am very tired while writing this.

If anyone can throw down some numbers, I'd appreciate it. One thing: Please don't critique my setup, or tell me what I should have gotten. Alot of people do that, and it's kinda pointless since I already bought it all.
Thanks guys! :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

No, I don't. I was told I don't need one by my mechanic. The only reason I am upping the fuel pump is to prevent top end starvation, and I am going so big because I plan to supercharge within the next three years. I was told by my mechanic that I'd have around 300 at the flywheel, and maybe 275 rear wheel. He's really good with tuning the suckers and getting the most out of them, he's been doing stangs for 20 years.

* Added a few forgotten mods to the list in the first post. Sorry, my brain doesn't work well when tired :chair: .
Mods added to list are:
FRPP or MAC 65 or 70 mm TB
1" phenolic spacer for intake
bypassed smog pump/ shortbelt

You sure do seem to listen to everything your mechanic has to say. So why do you ask us at all? I am not trying to be an ass, I am just wondering since you ask so many questions, but then doubt us because of what your mechanic says. I would say that you will have about 270 to the wheels with your combo. Again, like in one of your previous posts, I don't know how happy you will be with the e303. Just because your mechanic says it will work good, doesn't mean that it is the ideal cam for your combo. Oh well, not much we can do about it.

Chris

im thinking closer to 260ish rwhp. and fly wheel can range depending on who you ask. some say 15-16%, others as high as 20%, while others say the tranny takes a fixed amount of 30-35hp. no matter how you look at it, it still putting down the same rwhp.

i agree with 5.0GT, everything we say isnt right or isnt good info cause the mechanic said so. Your mechanic says u wont need an adjustable fuel pressure gauge but yet he has to tune it??? :shrug: An adj. fuel. press. regulator is like a set of subframes, one of the first things to do (if u are modding). anyway, im gonna say:

~260RWHP

U said u didnt want any info on your setup, but its not something that u should change, its something i would suggest. AHH i just realized your doing a conversion (MAF) (u didnt have mass air meter listed). You gonna do that b4 the cam and stuff right? while your at it i would say get some 24# injectors and get teh meter calibrated to the 24s. and id say a 75mm would be a good choice. (proM)

Yeah, I am doing a MAF conversion before the H/C/I and other mods. I was gonna do a 24# setup, but I can't afford it right now, so that's gonna come later on. As far as what my mechanic says, the guy has never steered me wrong, and he's built more mustangs for both himself and others than any of us will ever own. When I ask you guys a question, it's more of a secons opinion kind of thing. Just because I don't follow your ideas doesn't mean I don't want some other thoughts.

Black331Stang said:
i agree with 5.0GT, everything we say isnt right or isnt good info cause the mechanic said so. Your mechanic says u wont need an adjustable fuel pressure gauge but yet he has to tune it??? :shrug: An adj. fuel. press. regulator is like a set of subframes, one of the first things to do (if u are modding). anyway, im gonna say:

~260RWHP

U said u didnt want any info on your setup, but its not something that u should change, its something i would suggest. AHH i just realized your doing a conversion (MAF) (u didnt have mass air meter listed). You gonna do that b4 the cam and stuff right? while your at it i would say get some 24# injectors and get teh meter calibrated to the 24s. and id say a 75mm would be a good choice. (proM)

An adjustable FPR won't do nothing. To sum it up any small amount of fuel adjusted by the AFRP with be compensated by the comp. after warmup, cause the comp. runs off the O2 sensors. If the O2 sensors say the engine is running rich the comp. will compensate an add less fuel to try an hit 14.7 air fuel ratio. The only time it can't compensate is when you bump the pressure like 15 or 20 psi, and if your doing that you need bigger injectors anyhow. The only way to tune a motor is by a Tweecer or burned chip.

I think your going to have some problems with your combo and SD. That cam isn't the best from what I've been told, doesn't pull enough vacume. When I put in my new engine this summer it wouldn't run right, and I tried everything to fix the problem (new sensors, plugs, wires, etc.). I finally did the conversion with a stock meter and A9L and it ran great. IMO the MAF conversion should be your first priority!