Engine How Much Hp Can The 5.0 Block Handle?

Still building it, Brian. When will it run its first 9? Maybe when I'm not deployed or living in a foreign country anymore. But I don't have a doubt that the car would do it... maybe right now. but certainly before I'm done with it.
Alright, in that case....let's just call it what it is then.....and that's a dream hope to be made reality, not "another" 9-second car. I'd be interested in the details if you accomplish your goal and I'm sure you have do doubt you'll do so, but let's be real here....It's a 9-second car, when it run's 9's. Not based on what you think it'll do on paper. And let's also keep in mind here....for this $30K price tag, the OP is trying to factor in flash, as well as sizzle here. If he want's to make it into a magazine, he's got to have a little form, to go with the function. That that'll cost him too.

I know lot's of import guys at the local hot spot that all think they've got 10-second cars because they heard Vin Diesel say it in a movie.....doesn't mean they own/drive one though. :D

• Sponsors (?)

So what should I call it? This car has never run less than a 12.21 at a dragstrip. So, it's a 12 second car? Ha! IMO, that's the more ridiculous description.

This is like the tree falling in the woods philisophical question. How do you know I haven't already run a 9 second 1/4 mile in the car? Just because I haven't done it at the strip doesn't mean I haven't done it. And, if a car that's been built for years goes to the track and finally runs a 9 second 1/4 mile, was it already a 9 second car? I guess it depends on your philosophy. In any event, the point is, I don't need another 9 second car ;)

Disagree on that, Brian... You're a weirdo about gas mileage, and emmisions. 95% of the guys building cars on the board don't give a damn as long as they can get the car registered. 95% of the people in this forum are perfectly happy with a fox's "street manners" and "creature comforts. You don't have to sacrifice those to run 9s.

just gotta be smart about the money. How much power is needed to run 9s? 600 rwhp? Sounds like a 351 with forced induction to me... no radical cam, or corresponding decrease in street manners or gas mileage. Even if you go over the top and spend $10k on the motor, you still have $20k to put into suspension, fuel, tune, and tranny.

Where did nice and reliable = gas mileage, emmissions anyway?

I agree totally with everything said here!!!! BIGTIME with this part You're a weirdo about gas mileage, and emmisions. 95% of the guys building cars on the board don't give a damn as long as they can get the car registered. 95% of the people in this forum are perfectly happy with a fox's "street manners" and "creature comforts

EDIT$$$$$ just read the rest of this thread and ah i agree with everything else Chris said also!

I know i'll have the 5.0 block bored. I'll buy the Scat 347 stroker kit. As far as heads, intake, and cam I still don't know which to go with.
I know the trick flow heads are supposed to be the best, but then again I heard they were 2,000. So if anyone can chip in on heads, intake, and cam that'd be great. I do know I'll need the rpms under 5,000 so I don't bust the block! (still doing research)

burtle1, Just in case you are also interested in the suggestion from 88LX5.Oh to go 351 to get your to your power level, the moderator found an old link for me; it seems to answer most all of what it takes. :) If anyone has newer info or part numbers, please message me before I start to build my new motor. The link is old enough I did not see it before, so thanks for sending it!

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/351-swap.723142/
from vristang, Oct 8, 2007

Reactions: 1 user