How much is a good paint job?

• Sponsors (?)

1500-15000, you have to be specific on what you want. Color changes are more..how many coats of clear, or are you even using base clear. Will you prep the car, or will they..list goes on and on. A GOOD paint job for one person would leave another pulling there hair out. For me a good paint job was four coats primer, block sanded after each, two coats color, three coats clear, and finish with wet sanding (20hours). Total cost if I had not participated in the process would have been anywhere from 6-10 thousand depending on the shop. Know exactly what you want from the guy before he starts..and know exactly what he's capable of by looking at his work both done and in process. Get a set price going in, and get a couple compeditive quotes from respected shops..this is one area where most often you get exactly what you pay for.

Paint is like a piece of art, the more you pay... The better it will look.

Minimum 2,000.00 for a decent paint job. 4,000.00 for a good paint job.

Also, time spent at the body shop in the prep stage is important to note here.. The more time spent in prep work means the nicer the car will look in the end.

I paid 3900$ for my paint. that included no body work acept to fit a cervinis cobra bumper cover and the color was originaly black. now it is black base coat prismatic java. with 6 coats of clear, it turned out purrrrfect. i definitly wouldnt try to do a 299$ macco job...you'll just hate yourself afterwards

2500-3500 gets your our nicest work (depending on your body's condition) this price includes the body work to an extend - if your car has fenders that are rotted out or quarters rotted, when we have to cut metal and weld it in and than do the body work the price goes up because the labor is very very intensive on making it look RIGHT - So if your car is a wreck, prepare to spend about 5000, but if your car is the average car i see on stang net, and your not doing hte door jams, you'll spend 2500 at my shop and get a SPECTACULAR finished product.

stock 92 gt said:
damn...........it looks like i will paying 3-4k. wtf why do i see paintjobs on tv that are like 500 dollars (they suck).

Because they do suck, a 500 dollar paint job is a 500 paint job - most of the stuff you see in shows like Pimp My Ride are single stage, this means NO CLEAR COAT- similar to laquer, but it shines as soon as it lays and stays shiny (VERY VERY ORANGE PEELED OUT) Requires hours upon hours of finish work (see thread step by step orange peel eliminator) to look decent. Macco can do a desent paint job, you just have to get good at sanding out paint runs (VERY DIFFICULT TO PERFECT W/O repainting) because they dont care enough to do a nice job, so you'll hav elots of sanding and buffing to do -

I am gonna cry when I go to do mine. I got dark jade metallic with the gt gfx that need to be completely redone.

the car has some surface rust, hatch rust, rust under the gfx, rust by the antenna, the rear bumber has to be repaired from an accident and the trim is trashed.

it may take a while, I forsee a 5 didget job :(