how much of a diff do 4.10's make

I just walked in the door from getting my 4.10's. Paid 570 out the door for everything. and after 11 miles there is no problem ;) knock knock ... anywayz cant really speak of the power diff. havnt laid in it yet... it feels like there is power to be had, i hope so!

• Sponsors (?)

i paid 350 bucks for mine with the install, i had a guy that works at a ford dealership do it after hours, and i used ford racing gears to, dude was bad ass, he could listen to the gears as they mesh and tell how much backlash they had and he adjusted it by ear and then put a indicator on it and it was dead on

There should be NO gear whine, if there is, its most likely the pinion depth is set too deep and you really dont have any slack. Me and my dad installed the 3.73s in my 04 and we actually didnt have to shim anything, just swap the spacers that hold the carrier in. They apper to be the same thickness, but the way it came out it would not go back in so we put the left one on the right and the right on the left (same thing in 00 V6 W/ 3.73s...but in my car my dad was going to show me that it didnt fit since i had to step away for a second and when he went back in it fit...he actually didnt switch them on purpose like we did last time LOL) tightened it up checked everything out (ie slack in the rearend and pinion depth) then filled with royal purple and NO WHINE. May have had a SMALL amount on our first test run(only after letting off at about 50-55MPH), but the tires make some noise sometimes too...probably wearing the paint off durring the initial breakin, but after that there has been 0. I love not having to take anything to the shop, saves a TON of cash.

I paid $550 for parts & labor - got FRPP 4.10's in my 03 GT 5spd. For comparison, about 5 years ago I only paid $360 parts & labor to get FRPP 3.73's installed in my 92 LX 5.0.

joshheat25 said:
Nice! I have just heard that with 4.10's in an auto that your transmission will over heat and you will have to buy a trans cooler is this true?

The trans cooler is a good idea no matter what. However, the 4.10s do not require a trans cooler. If you keep the rpms high, your tranny fluid will exceed the recommended 170*...but it won't start to smoke or anything.

Take care,
Ceyko

FRPP Gears: $180
Install kit: $50
Having the correct tools and installing them myself: $0
Total Cost: $230

No whine/vibration so far with 1K miles on them. My pinion depth was correct with the FRPP's, however, backlash was off and required one shim change to correct it.

The trans cooler can be bought nearly everywhere. There is an addtional option that I seen in Jegs. It is a finned tranny pan. Most say it is not worth the effort though.

Anyway, jegs, lonestarperformance.com, dallasmustang.com...etc...a lot of places carry them.

Take care,
Ceyko