How much Oil do you put in your 4.6?

My mustang has me confused. The owner's manual states that the refill capacity for an oil change including the filter is 6 quarts. I just put in 6qts, cranked the engine, let it run for a minute, and then checked the dipstick. It read that I was below the minimum level, so I put another half quart in. I ran the engine again and checked the dipstick, and it still looked uncomfortably low-just over the minimum mark.

I don't want to put too much oil in there - that could get back real quick - but I want to know why I'm getting such a low reading. My first thought is maybe I have a wrong dipstick, so here's the part number that I got off of it: 1R3E-6750-BB. Could anybody check their's to see if I've got an ugly duckling or something.

I really don't know what to think. Are these engines just plain thirstier than the manual states, or do I just have a freak? Should I add more oil, or just leave it alone?

Your thoughts are appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

When you changed the oil filter did you add some in there. Remember oil fills the filter as well just add some in there before you tighten it on maybe your dipstick will read better. Plus give the oil time to settle before an accurate reading, hope that helps.

GTsleeper said:
When you changed the oil filter did you add some in there. Remember oil fills the filter as well just add some in there before you tighten it on maybe your dipstick will read better. Plus give the oil time to settle before an accurate reading, hope that helps.

running the engine for a few minutes to allow the oil to fill the filter and heat the oil a little. After you turn the engine off let it sit so it can drain into the pan a little. The dipsticks on these cars are horrible, look at the design and you can see why :nonono: