How much power am I losing?

When mine was normally aspirated I gained a solid 20HP past 5500 with these mild ("Stage 1" if you prefer) Comps and lost virtually nothing down low so yes, IMO, they're definitely worth it.

Yup, they will make more power up top for sure. With a super inefficient roots blower at only 8 psi, my peak horsepower is at about 6200 rwhp with a set of mild blower cams on PI heads. That compares to around 55-5600 for a stock cam PI head car. At 6k rpm, I bet I've picked up 40+ rwhp, with no loss in low end torque.

The way I see it, a bigger cam opens the valve more, the more the valve is open, the more air and gas get in. More in, more out. And I have a shorty on the head that has the stage 1 cam. I saw no reason to change over the ex manifold on the head w/ the stock cam until I can get the new cam back from Patriot.

A bigger cam does not necessarily open the valve any more. My blower cams have roughly the same intake lift as the stock PI cams, and over .025 less exhaust lift. The big difference in aftermarket cams is the duration and lobe centerlines/LSA.

These are the cams from my car. Blower cam on left and stock PI cam on right.

1022904t.jpg

Notice how the lobe height is very similar (which is because they're practically identical as per the specs), but see how much fatter the blower cam is? THAT is where the power comes from.

For reference, a stock PI cam has .507 intake lift and .534 exhaust lift. A Hitech Stage I cam and an MHS Stage I cam has .550/.500 while a Comp Stage I has .550/.550. So without knowing what cam you have, it's not possible for us to tell you if that sounds right or not. As shown by the Hitech and MHS specs, it's possible the valve lift IS actually less than stock.

Look, I'm not so dumb as to not know that a 1/16th is equal to .060. If you measure the cam lobe, and cant come up w/ a 32nd of an inch, there must not be much of a difference.:shrug:

Actually, it's .0625", but we'll let it slide. :D

Also, because of the rocker arm ratio, you won't see .500 or .550 or whatever on the cam lobe. It'll only be around half that (~.6 IIRC).

There is too much debate on whether or not longtubes are worth the expense and hassle. I've got one afterburner shorty on there now, and I had a hell of a time getting it on there.

Yes, there is debate on whether long tubes are worth it or not. But there is absolutely NO debate on shorties. They are 100% a waste of money.

• Sponsors (?)

There is too much debate on whether or not longtubes are worth the expense and hassle. I've got one afterburner shorty on there now, and I had a hell of a time getting it on there.[/quote]

Ok well take it from somebody who knows from experience longtubes are worth every bit of the hassle, there is no debate in that field, they open up the motor to breathe so much id reccomend people putting longtubes on a stock car, almost more seat of the pants feel then gears, next shorties do absolutely nothing to a 4.6 you wasted your time with them.

Well, after seeing the difference on the size of those cams, it seems we now have another issue to address: weight imbalance. That's gotta ba a difference of 15-20 lbs per cam... Mike I suggest adding/subtract weight in the car to balance it out....

Well, after seeing the difference on the size of those cams, it seems we now have another issue to address: weight imbalance. That's gotta ba a difference of 15-20 lbs per cam... Mike I suggest adding/subtract weight in the car to balance it out....

So Then what you're saying now is the the aftermarket cam weighs more than the stocker? Why if there is so much of a weight imbalance haven't I felt it in the form of vibration then? The car runs smooth like glass. Not as smooth as see through glass, but kinda slightly bumpy like the stuff they use on your bathroom window. (You can still tell somebody is looking in trying to see you naked, you just don't know if it's the hot babe from next door, or the perv that lives down the street.)

anyways, it's a better idea than your last suggestion. You guys mess w/ me so much, I don't know when you're serious or not. That nitrous suggestion was a joke right? I mean a fogger is a lot of money to just put pills on one side........Right?:shrug:

Maybe just put two spares on one side :shrug:

I don't have any spares, I do have another set of PI heads though. There's certainly room in the trunk. If I put one head behind the driver side tire, do you think that'll be enough ballast to straighten the car out? Should I bolt it down, or do you think I should epoxy it to the floor? I don't want the damn thing sliding around and denting my quarter all to hell:eek:.

Dump that hydrogen injection kit quick. You are injecting pure snake water in your intake.

??? Snakes can't get into the mason Jars that hold the electrolyte solution I used the screw down lids w/ the big rubber gasket. So how do you figure its' "snake water"?:scratch:

Maybe point both exhaust pipes out of the right side of the car. The exhaust would push the car left.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

That will only work after the car gets going, Einstein. This isn't a Jet. What about starting off? I'm no Jet mech, but I'd venture to say that there would not be enough exhaust velocity built up yet to push the car................. Not so smart now, are we?:crazy:

I'm banning everyone.

That is all.

:leaving:

Why?

...because the possibility exists (however small) that you could reproduce. :O_o:
HA! Been there, done that. Twice.
nanadance.gif

dun da da da dahhh.