how much power possible with Ported E7s?

a good cam WILL allow power way above the "flow" numbers of any head!! Maybe we need a cam expert here to help expalin the flow potential of smaller heads and the correct lift and duration .. or higher lift and duration!! I run up to 580 solid lifts and over 600 solid roller cams on my ported heads ( all I run is ported...) and believe me... they DONT fall off at 5500 or over .500 lift!!! But.... I dont run F/I either and dont have to "trick a computer" to make the dam thing run...LOL But POWER from a 145 CC runner will scare you when it is right!!

Just me...........................

Thumper

• Sponsors (?)

thumper460 said:
a good cam WILL allow power way above the "flow" numbers of any head!! Maybe we need a cam expert here to help expalin the flow potential of smaller heads and the correct lift and duration .. or higher lift and duration!! I run up to 580 solid lifts and over 600 solid roller cams on my ported heads ( all I run is ported...) and believe me... they DONT fall off at 5500 or over .500 lift!!! But.... I dont run F/I either and dont have to "trick a computer" to make the dam thing run...LOL But POWER from a 145 CC runner will scare you when it is right!!

Just me...........................

Thumper

Really? So Mike, what type of cam would you recommed that would best suits the STOCKERS? I know you push the FORD cams(E&B) with your heads, however, those seem to be right there as in terms of peak lift vs. peak flow of the heads...I also know that Powerheads have springs good up to .530 lift which is why I assume they recommend a cam with smaller lift than .530...I am by no means an expert on cams, however, from what I do know is that more duration means more upper end power as oppose to low end power...I really don't know the potential of stock ported castings...What would be a good cam that takes advantage and full potential of the heads...? are there any OTS cams or is custom the way to go? :shrug:

thumper460 said:
Buddy Rawls says it best on his web site the section on "Cam truth". ( hope this works) go to: http://www.wighat.com/fcr3/camtruth.htm !! He pretty much says it all in there. cool?? give it a read... it should help.

Just me...............................

Thumper

( but this is on the ported 145 cc heads...right??

YES SIR...145cc head...I read that page but really I can't seem to pick a cam! The cams I thought were good were quickly disproved by more knowledgable others... :D

As you stated I suggest the FMS cams... and then it seems the more you learn on cams the more confusing it becomes, right?? there is too much info out there ( is there such as thing as too much) and it confuses most average guys... ( WHO's average?? LOL) UNLESS you call a grinder and have one specificly done for you, then the OTS cams have to work!! IF your realistic and want a certain HP or using the 1/4 mile as the guage... all most all of the OTC cams are fine!! Usually some one will install a cam and have good results.. stay with that cam, and swear by it as it is the best for his application... but, has he run or tried any other grinds?? manufactors? Phasing? usually NO!! So actually his experiance is extremely limited...cool?? Then there is "SALES".. the new this, the new that..blah, blah... all this helps, or does it??
The reason I suggest the FMS or the TFS cams.. they WORK and will allow enough HP and torque for a 300-350 FWHP engine with the usual mods ( intakes, fuel, Head upgrade ( or PORTED..LOL)... with more and better mods the HP will see up to 375!! and that is with cams that cost half the cost of most OTC cams... SOOoo... looking for the 12 sec zone?? or the 11 sec zone?? too me, 12s is a a ported or stock headed 5.0 with mild mods and FMS/TFS inexpensive cam shaft... AFTER your busting the low 12s, or as fast as you can go on the mods you have.... THEN buy the high dollar heads and custome cams... but MOST performance 5.0 n/a are happy with the tire burning, sideways launching 12 sec Mustang.. Realisticly that speed and performance should put you in the top 5% in your area and still be driveable on the streets!! Well, others are doing it all the time!! COOL??? I know I didnt suggest any camshafts...but you get my Idea!! Anything faster than the 12s... custome Cam and Heads ect.. ( for the average guy) or more suspension work and better driving skills and weight reduction... now your in the 11s... it is really where you actually can and want to be...
And driving it every day!! cool>>??

Just me..............................

Thumper

Well, I just had to jump in this thread. :)
I run NMRA Factory Stock. No porting of the heads or intake allowed. The heads are from Ed Curtis at Flow Tech Induction. Stock cam and shorty headers.
At the first race in Fla. I dynoed the car and it made 283hp and 341tq to the rear wheels. I ran a 12.04@109
Changed a couple things and ran a [email protected] in Ga. Trying my best to get that elusive 11. And these times were on 275/60 drag radials. With slicks or ET streets, easy 11's.
This is a street motor without lightweight parts inside.
Hopefully I'll get that 11 in Columbus in two weeks. :D

stangfireman.... YOU guys are the proven fact!! It is alwaya good to see what you guys are knocking down on "stock" stuff!! I bet it makes a lot of guys wonder..... Hmmmm.. do I NEED this or that, OR just work harder with what I have!!?? NMRA Factory stock rocks!!

Just me.........................

Thumper

Hahaha Todd I mentioned your car earlier, but I would have guessed higher rwhp numbers (dont get me wrong, those are awesome). The torque is amazing, and the times the car runs are impressive too. Factory Stock has opened my eyes, and it is amazing when people hear the combos and what they run!

In my eyes too many Mustang owners slap parts on without ever trying to optimize them and see sub par results. You dont NEED heads cam and intake to run 12s or 11s, and Factory Stock shows this. Granted I like the fact noone does that, because it makes the ones that do it look better!!!

Thanks Thumper and Brian. These things are amazing, but I'll be honest. They aren't cheap. In the end, for a bit more I could have had a nice set of alum. heads. :D But it was well worth it.
I know the GT-40's make more hp but they have to weigh more then I do. My base weight is 3000lbs. GT40's, 3250. Mod 4V, 3375. And the 4V is killing us right now.
I'm hoping to have some more hp for the Maple Grove race. See if I can squeeze out enough to top the 300rwhp barrier. But that might involve light weight internals. Guess I'll see what JD's can do for me.
Can someone

Thanks Thumper and Brian. These things are amazing, but I'll be honest. They aren't cheap. In the end, for a bit more I could have had a nice set of alum. heads. :D But it was well worth it.
I know the GT-40's make more hp but they have to weigh more then I do. My base weight is 3000lbs. GT40's, 3250. Mod 4V, 3375. And the 4V is killing us right now.
I'm hoping to have some more hp for the Maple Grove race. See if I can squeeze out enough to top the 300rwhp barrier. But that might involve light weight internals. Guess I'll see what JD's can do for me.
Can someone please tell

Can someone please

Can someone please tell me why I don't get email

Can someone please tell me why I don't

Can someone please tell me why

Can someone please tell me

Can someone please tell me why I don't get email notifications?