How much power with bolt-ons?

diamonded

Oct 26, 2004
Anyone have a ballpark guess how much power we can get out of our 05+ 4.6 liters using only bolt-ons, excluding forced induction. Is 350-375 possible with cai, aftermarket tune, headers, mufflers?

• Sponsors (?)

There's a guy here in the UK who offers 370hp using a CAI kit and a custom tune but I haven't seen an independent dyno reading to prove it although since the tune was for a respected UK motoring mag, I'm guessing the claim was not made lightly.

350 at the wheels is going to need more than simple bolt-ons. At the minimum, the heads will have to come off for a port and polish and new cams and springs, even then I wonder if you'll get 350 at the wheels. From what I'm seeing, the bolt-ons you list are good for 300 or so at the wheels, which is a 40+ bump from stock and quite respectable if you ask me. If you are getting 300 at the wheels, you are getting close to 350 at the crank, so I guess you could say bolt-ons would get you 350, but once people start modding, the HP numbers are typically referenced to the wheels and not the crank.

Cams are great, but i dont consider them "Bolt-On".

Without cams you would probably max at 315 RWHP given the current available bolt ons. which equals 355-365 crank hp or so. An increase of that much plus gears will drop a second off your 1/4 mile given you can stick to the road. Saying this meaning the car runs 13.6xx stock and 12.6xx with some good tires. Totally achievable i think. With an awesome suspension and cams you should be able to run mid- low 12's all motor given you can drive.

but, anyways with some headers&pipe, an intake and tune with UDP and cmcv deletes you can get over 300whp pretty simple.

Thats pretty impressive. I want to do cams, springs, and new keepers to mine.:nice:

Fred :flag:

I agree, I would love to have new cams and ported heads. Does anyone know what just that mod or Cams and a CAI kit will get you? (I understand you have to retune, so please don't tell me you have to tune with either or both I know and think that is almost a required mod with anything on our S197's)

think about this.

FAST is coming out with a new intake manifold that is supposed to give impressive gains. the first word was 40hp, but i bet it wont be close to that. say it is 20, cams(30), and intake(20-25) you might get a good 75rwhp or close to 90 crank hp. these three together plus some long tubes and UDP and cmcv deletes will get close to 100 RWHP gains.

like said brenspeed got 347 RWHP without the new intake manifold. If it does produce 20whp that will put them at almost 370 rwhp which equals 100rwhp gains over a stock 270whp and a power rating equal to that of the roush mustang stage 3. I would love to see the look on a roush SC owners face when they get taken by an NA 3V. it would also be lighter than the roush, yet the roush would win in a road race. Their suspenion setup is 1k, so might as well get that too.

and if you opted for roushes drag suspenion they have you might peak into the high 11's all motor.

In good time the NA cars will be very respectble and will beat the C6 vette hands down. And the look on thier face when you tell them there is no supercharger will be priceless :eek: :nonono: .

And we will be like this:shrug: and this:rolleyes:

then you tell them "yeah i paid 27K for my car, how much as yours?"

Althought the cost of these parts will put you easily over 4k plus the install and tune charges you are looking at over 5 grand for what a blower can get you an extra 50 hp easy over that. thats why blowers are the "better" option if you want serious power.

I personally would go with an NA motor if the cost was the same, but it's not. My goal is to beat my dad's M5 he's getting this summer. lucky guy. I guess i will have to outdrive him at the drag track once i am done modding. drag radials may put me out ahead once the modding is done.

I agree, I would love to have new cams and ported heads. Does anyone know what just that mod or Cams and a CAI kit will get you? (I understand you have to retune, so please don't tell me you have to tune with either or both I know and think that is almost a required mod with anything on our S197's)

The answer your question specifically

a cam and intake/tune combo will give you around 50whp.

Also, brent finds the cams to be very mild. a more aggresive cam would net an additionl 10-15hp easy.

think about this.

FAST is coming out with a new intake manifold that is supposed to give impressive gains. the first word was 40hp, but i bet it wont be close to that. say it is 20, cams(30), and intake(20-25) you might get a good 75rwhp or close to 90 crank hp. these three together plus some long tubes and UDP and cmcv deletes will get close to 100 RWHP gains.

like said brenspeed got 347 RWHP without the new intake manifold. If it does produce 20whp that will put them at almost 370 rwhp which equals 100rwhp gains over a stock 270whp and a power rating equal to that of the roush mustang stage 3. I would love to see the look on a roush SC owners face when they get taken by an NA 3V. it would also be lighter than the roush, yet the roush would win in a road race. Their suspenion setup is 1k, so might as well get that too.

and if you opted for roushes drag suspenion they have you might peak into the high 11's all motor.

In good time the NA cars will be very respectble and will beat the C6 vette hands down. And the look on thier face when you tell them there is no supercharger will be priceless :eek: :nonono: .

Althought the cost of these parts will put you easily over 4k plus the install and tune charges you are looking at over 5 grand for what a blower can get you an extra 50 hp easy over that. thats why blowers are the "better" option if you want serious power.

I personally would go with an NA motor if the cost was the same, but it's not. My goal is to beat my dad's M5 he's getting this summer. lucky guy. I guess i will have to outdrive him at the drag track once i am done modding. drag radials may put me out ahead once the modding is done.

thats too much bench racing for me. you cant just add up all the numbers and assume thats what you will get.

Only time will tell, that's for sure...... My own opinion is that it will be really hard to get over 360 N/A, and that's with cams, heads, and even a compression raise but keeping stock displacement. Of course I'm referring to rwhp, not flywheel.

think about this.

You would think that for $82K you could get more than 500 horse out of a 7 liter V10:shrug: Id think an even 600 would be nice:D :D