how much should a stock rebuild really cost?

Chuckman

GTFO you fat, heavy bastard
15 Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
st. louis, mo
i called two local shops, and they both want in the 2500-3k range. seems a bit much to me, i see people on here paying around 1k? am i missing something here?

i even asked about just doing the short block and theyre saying its still 2k+, which seems ridiculous since im seeing 347 stroker short blocks going in the 2k or less range, and im pricing a complete 347 build right at 4k.

• Sponsors (?)

I rebuilt my motor myself, after all the machine work, gaskets, bearings and seals I paid around 1200, but about 450 was to have a set of caps fit the block I have because like a dumbass I threw the wrong ones away

yeah, ive been looking at a fordstrokers motor, but im trying to keep a semblance of a budget here. ive got about 8k coming to me from taxes (first-time homebuyers credit), but i dont want to use it all just building a motor for the stang if i can help it, especially with the way work is right now (they just laid off 9 or so people friday). so if i can id like to reuse some parts, like valve covers and maybe injectors (doubt it, im thinking i need 30s for a 347).

I rebuilt my motor myself, after all the machine work, gaskets, bearings and seals I paid around 1200, but about 450 was to have a set of caps fit the block I have because like a dumbass I threw the wrong ones away

ouch, yeah, throwing stuff away can be bad, thats why the pack-rat spirit goes on.

ill see what just the machine work would run, if i can just throw some new heads on (trickflow kit), and do all the assembly myself, i'd be happy.

will the parts places like advance and whatnot rent engine stands, or would i be stuck either buying or building one (and then the subsequent storage)?

i paid 470 to have my block machined and have my pistons hung on my stock rods.
I bought a rebuild kit that was pistons/rings/bearings for a 400-500

i think when all was said and done i was 2K into it(rebuilding heads is expensive) and i did all my own labor. i can pull some reciepts if you want.

i paid 470 to have my block machined and have my pistons hung on my stock rods.
I bought a rebuild kit that was pistons/rings/bearings for a 400-500

i think when all was said and done i was 2K into it(rebuilding heads is expensive) and i did all my own labor. i can pull some reciepts if you want.

so figure about a grand for a shortblock doing the labor myself? i was going to do the trick flow kit eventually, and if im tearing it down, i might as well do it now instead of spending money on the stock heads.

should i have the crank turned and rods honed while the blocks in the shop, assuming of course that these local guys will actually charge a decent amount? and just go with a .01 over bearing kit?

lol you got that right! im doing my build now and the parts list just keeps getting longer and longer and more and more expensive lol, cut corners to save a few bucks in one place and end up spendin another 100 somewhere else lol

That's why, in the end, after you've figured in all the time and money - especially if you have to buy tools as well - the price of a brand new, professionally assembled shortblock looks a lot more reasonable...

ok, so just got off the phone with another machine shop here, they want 475 for the block work, 250 for the balance, and 45 to polish the crank.

looking at this rebuild kit Federal Mogul MHP173-300 - Federal Mogul Premium Engine Rebuild Kits - summitracing.com . seems to have every gasket id need, and some id actually have two of (im just going to go with the trick flow kit while im at it instead of blowing money on the stock heads). all this sound reasonable?

i know ill need new injectors and maf (c&l's any good, or pro-m), hopefully my 65mm tb will be good enough for it to run for now till i can get another deal on a 70 or 75.

$1700 give or take with the block honed stock pistons rods crank, new bearings, pistons notched and everything assembled. Heads were cleaned up rebuilt and put on a flow bench also. That was 2 years ago, still going....tick.....tick.....tick...knock on wood...tick...tick...tick...

My first shortblock cost around a grand..Thats with machining, Speed Pro forged pistons, and balancing.
My second shortblock.. I used a 180K block that only needed a rehone. My machinist squared the deck, added cam bearings, and freeze plugs ($240). Added new rings,bearings, and timing chain. This motor came in around $500.
My point is....If you dont need a stroker kit right away...Look into rebuilding a stock motor with just new rings and bearings. Then get the TF top end kit and go have some fun!
The 65mm will be just fine!

Kelly

I did pretty much the same thing that MMFF Mag did with my 87' I did all the work myself with the exception of the heads. I added all the recipts up afterwards and it was around 1900.00 but If you take out the head rebuild with port and polish and just factor in a standard head rebuild you could drop 600.00 off the price. I also added in a Ford Racing Cam and lifter set, so depending on what you want it can get expensive. This was my first engine build and it still runs perfect and was still my daily driver untill I bought my 96' GT Vert.