How much time did you knock off your 1/4 with gears?

96Forged281

Dec 10, 2002
State what your gear ratio was and what your 1/4 time was and then what your new ratio is with new times.

Im pretty sure the 01 GT 5spd I have has 3.27s

Im thinking of going with 3.90s

• Sponsors (?)

I would argue that on a manual transmission, you shouldn't gain more than .1 or .2 if you can drive well. Factory gearing is certainly cabable of 2.0 and 2.1 60' times, even on street tires; yes, it takes some practice to do that. Gears simply make it easier to get good 60' times because you don't have to play with the clutch so much. In my NPI with street tires on an average track with little to no prep, I get regular 2.1s by launching between 3000 and 3500, and slipping the clutch. I've even gotten a few 2.0s.

The biggest advantage I see to changing the gearing, is to make the gearing work out as you are crossing the line. On my NPI, I have to shift to 4th just before the finish line which hurts me. If I hold 3rd, it costs me several tenths and about 3mph. I'm also leaving a couple tenths on the table shifting to 4th so late because it is at the top end of the track. I make the shift to 4th and I end up crossing the line at 4000-4200 instead of 5k where I'd like to be.

The best gears will make your 1:1 gear (4th on a 5sp) rev to 100-200rpm above your peak horsepower as you are crossing the finish line. IE, if your peak power is at 5500, then you want to cross the stripes at around 5600 in 4th.

I would argue that on a manual transmission, you shouldn't gain more than .1 or .2 if you can drive well. Factory gearing is certainly cabable of 2.0 and 2.1 60' times, even on street tires; yes, it takes some practice to do that. Gears simply make it easier to get good 60' times because you don't have to play with the clutch so much. In my NPI with street tires on an average track with little to no prep, I get regular 2.1s by launching between 3000 and 3500, and slipping the clutch. I've even gotten a few 2.0s.

The biggest advantage I see to changing the gearing, is to make the gearing work out as you are crossing the line. On my NPI, I have to shift to 4th just before the finish line which hurts me. If I hold 3rd, it costs me several tenths and about 3mph. I'm also leaving a couple tenths on the table shifting to 4th so late because it is at the top end of the track. I make the shift to 4th and I end up crossing the line at 4000-4200 instead of 5k where I'd like to be.

The best gears will make your 1:1 gear (4th on a 5sp) rev to 100-200rpm above your peak horsepower as you are crossing the finish line. IE, if your peak power is at 5500, then you want to cross the stripes at around 5600 in 4th.

So knowing a 01 GT 5spd, just what gearing is it that will put me across the line around 55-5600?

I think I may just go with 3.73s so my gas mileage doesnt suffer too bad. I do alot of driving 65+

i went from 9.4 to 9.15 going from 3.08 to 3.90. miles per hour stayed the same.

How do you like those Hoosier's? I bought a pair of Hoosier 275/50 DOT's on Draglites and front skinnys but I haven't tried em' out yet. These Nitto's work okay, I seem to do best at 20psi with a 5-7 second burnout but I'm still rolling it off at 3k and working the clutch a bit to keep traction. Have you experimented with your DOT's at all, burnouts and pressure changes?