How Much To Paint Stripes On 67 Clone

• Sponsors (?)

Hi Mike, haven't heard from you in a while. As for the cost of stripes, it should be quite low if they are doing it at the same time as the car is painted. I painted mine the base color (white), then 3 coats of clear, then let it sit a couple days. Then I scuffed the clear with 500 grit wet and assembled the hood and trunk onto the car. Then laid out the stripes, re-masked it (quite easy if the car's still disassembled from paint), shot base on it, unmasked it and shot clear over the general stripe area plus a foot on either side. Then waited a couple more days, wet sanded over the stripes to remove the ridge and remasked it again and shot 3 coats of clear over everything. In reality it only added maybe 8 hours total to the job, that includes masking, layout, wet sanding and everything. I shot clear over the original base just in case I messed up, I could always sand the stripes off and still save the original paint job. Real painters that do it for a living may shoot the base, then mask off the stripes, then clear the whole car at once, saving time, money and product. I'm not that brave.

Thanks Jim... yeah, been away for quite a while. That's what divorce does for you. My car sat at the paint shop for 4 years and I never really pushed the guy to paint it, it was kinda like a free storage facility!. Ran into the guy that did alot of body work on the car and he offered to paint it... and now I'm back into it.... Nightmist blue with Wimbeldon white stripes. He is painting the stripes next week, the car will be painted by Christmas... I am getting pretty excited now! It gives me something to go into my new 900 sq ft garage..

I'm having my 66 painted now. Added lemans was $800 - sounded like the same process Zookeeper is doing. $800 I think was a little stiff. $500 for labor and material spunds about right. I think they were trying to recoup some money on underestmating the car.